Chapter 78- Birthday part 1

Well, it's my 18th birthday, and although I was able to do magic at 17, I'm finally a legal adult! I'm really happy, and cannot wait to spend the day with my friends. For the last two years, there's always been a celebration for me, of some sort, the first a little get together, and second, was just after the World Cup, where we spent it at the burrow.
This year, I get to spend it with Lee. I felt bad two years ago, when I turned 16, poor Lee didn't get to celebrate his birthday, because he wanted to make it all about me. But this year, I'm adamant, it's both of our time to shine.

For the first time in what seems like years, I wake up to an empty bed. No Fred laid over my chest, no warm spot at the side of me, no ginger hair in my eyes, no soft snoring. It's too quiet. I never thought that being without him would have this effect on me. I felt sad without it, lonely, one things for certain- I didn't like it.

I yawned, stretching out my arms above my head, before getting out of bed. As it was a Saturday, I decided to change into some casual clothing and apply some light makeup. I pulled my hair into two tight french braids and finished my daily routine. I picked up the clothes that Fred had left on the bathroom side, and placed them in the washing basket for the elves.

A tiny tapping could be heard from the window, where I recognised the Weasleys owl Errol trying to crash into it. I opened the window for the bird to fly in, which it did- not so smoothly as I had hoped. Attached to its leg was a small round parcel wrapped in red paper, my name written on a gift tag.
I untied the parcel from its leg, and took the letter from its mouth.
Setting the box aside, I tore into the letter.
——————————-
Happy Birthday my dear!
I can't believe your 18 already.
It seems like just yesterday you came to the burrow for the first time.

I hope you like the gift. It's only something small dear, but I thought it might come in handy. Don't let Ron get the cake.

I hope you have a lovely evening, and the twins behave themselves. Who knows what kind of trouble they'll be getting into.
Can't wait to see you for Christmas.
Lots of love,
Arthur and Molly (or mum.)
Xxxxxx
—————————-
I smile brightly as I read through the letter. They really are my family. I take the box and place it on my knee, gently removing the ribbon and wrapping paper.
Two smaller gifts fall out, one is wrapped in a paper bag, the other is a small cupcake in a plastic tub. One candle sits on the vanilla cake, the numbers 18 written in red icing.

I take the paper bag, carefully unwrapping it, and smile widely as I see the red material. I pull out a red hat, which has obviously been made by Molly. I place it on straight away, quickly snapping a photo with my muggle camera. I write a quick thank you note, and place the picture inside, sending it to the burrow.

"Morning Birthday girl." I turn around to see Fred leaning against the door frame, already fully dressed. I think this is the first time I've seen him dressed before me.
"Morning." I reply cheerfully, and he comes over to peck my lips, "look what Mum made me."
I gesture towards the hat, and his smile widens at the word 'mum'
"It suits you." He said, wrapping his arms around my waist from behind, as we stand looking in the mirror. "Anyway, you and Lee are having a birthday party tonight, and we're going to get absolutely shit faced. And then, you've got a meeting with Dumbledore at 5, I've been told to tell you. But for now, I was hoping that we could go out."
I smile, "that sounds perfect." I turn around and peck his lips, grabbing his hand and leading him out the door.
"I wonder what Dumbledore wants." I say, more thinking to myself aloud.
"I'm not sure. One of the prefects just told me to tell you." He shrugged.
I merely nodded, and greeted my friends with a smile as we entered the common room.

I got many 'happy birthdays' and wishes for me to have a good day. We soon made our way down to breakfast, the twins making sure that everyone knew it was our birthday.
"Are they always like this?" I whispered to Lee, as the twins rushed off ahead.
Lee nodded, "our seconds year, they charmed every portrait to sing happy birthday as I walked past."
I groaned in annoyance, not wanting to gain more attention to myself than I already had.