Chapter 88- good job Neville

Warning; mature themes briefly mentioned.

We're finally back at Hogwarts, after a very quick Christmas holiday. I've managed to persuade my dad that he doesn't need to travel the world right now, and should stick to going to places like Diagon Alley. It took quite the convincing, but having Madeye Moody on my side, seemed to help quite a bit.

Moodys apparently taken quite the liking to me. He has been helping me a lot now that I've come back to school, and has worked with me to perform my advanced spells. I've decided that I trust the man more than Dumbledore. But I don't really trust Dimbledore at all, at the minute. He seems to be very sly, as if waiting for something to happen. I've also noticed how he is trying to trick me and Harry especially into doing his business for him. I don't care about myself, because I know that i will help, no matter what it comes to. What annoys me, is him trying to get people like Fred and George to join his little order, when in reality, they no nothing about it whatsoever. Surely they need to be given the facts before they make up their minds. They need to know what's happening in the wizarding world, before they sign their lives off for him. I know that both Fred and George will want to fight, even Lee will. But they need to be made aware of the consequences they will be paying, by joining the order.

The defence lessons are going quite well. Nearly everyone has mastered the patronus charm, and we are still frequently working on stunning. I've kind of taken Nevil under my wing a little. He has been struggling quite a lot, so I found it necessary to help him out. He's a sweet kid really.

"Alright Nigel, give it your best shot." Harry said, standing in the middle of the parted crowd, facing his opponent. Before long, both boys were shot back at Nigels spell, causing me to work with the young boy a little. He just needed to improve his stance really, but his charm work was fine, more than fine actually.

"Alright Nigel." I said, standing across from him, "I need you to raise your hand a little higher, and your eyes need to meet mine. Don't look down, and don't be afraid to get it wrong. If you do that, it will go wrong."
Nigel nodded and performed the spell, I was thrown back in an instant, but sighed when I saw that Nigel had ended up in the same situation.
"It's alright." I smiled, "It took me a while to get it too. Try raising your chin a little, and make sure you say the words very carefully."
He performed the spell, and everything seemed to go in slow motion, I was shot back, but payed no notice. The one thing I was focusing on, was the fact that Nigel's feet had remained on the ground. He stumbled slightly, but he hadn't fallen over.

I instantly shot to my feet, cheering loudly as I raced over to the boy, bringing him into a hug, "You did it! I'm so proud of you. You're by far my best student." I winked.
I felt hands wrap themselves around my waist, and the voice spoke from over my head, "I thought I was your favourite." Fred groaned, making me laugh.
"Sorry Freddie, but you've been replaced." I teased, making Fred pout.
"Are you going to help me now?" He asked, leaning his head on my shoulder.
"Freddie, you don't need help, you can perform this charm fine. I'm gonna go and help Nevil, I'll be back soon." I said, but found myself restricted by Fred's arms, "Come on. Let go of me."
"Stay." He groaned, giving me his best attempt of puppy dog eyes.
I turned in his arms, and made sure to lean closely, whispering in his ear, "Let me go and I promise to make it up to you."
His grip dropped and I noticed his face blush as he became flustered. I smirked to myself, secretly happy that I was getting to him. I shot him a wink as I began to walk away. Let's see how he likes a taste of his own medicine.

I smiled brightly as I made my way over to Nevil. He looked quite glum as he stared around at everyone performing different charms.
"Hey Nev." I said, sitting down at the side of him.
He didn't look at me, but sighed, "Why can't I do it Y/N? It comes so natural to everyone else."
I placed a hand on his arm, doing my best to comfort him, "Nevil, it takes some people longer. It doesn't mean that you're weak, nor does it mean that you aren't any good. You just need to work harder, and one day you'll prove how good you are. It takes us a while to find ourselves Nevil, but when you do, you won't regret it." I whispered the last part, "Your mum and dad would be so proud of you."
Nevil smiled at the mention of his parents. He turned his head towards me, and rubbed the back of his head, something I've noticed that Fred does a lot when he's nervous. "Do, do you think you'd be able to help me, please?"
"Of course I can, Nev. What is it you need help with." I asked.
"I. I can't do the patronus charm, it just sends a few whisps into the air." He said, looking at the ground, as if disappointed in himself.
"Then its simple." I said, standing up, "You aren't doing it wrong, you just aren't thinking of a happy enough memory."
"But I don't know what to think of, I've tried every happy memory imaginable." The boy sighed.
"Nevil." I started, "Sometimes a memory can hold as much happiness, even if it's a sad one."
The boy seemed to understand my words, as he nodded. I watched and it was like I could see the ideas popping into his head, as his face lit up in realisation.
"Got one?" I asked, and the boy nodded, holding his wand out in front of him, and shouting the spell.