Chapter 172: A Close Friend, Breaking The Limit!

Hello everyone! I hope all of you are well in health and doing great!

I want to say thanks again for being patient with the updates. Writing an extended fight scene like this one is honestly quite a taxing task. Besides that, I also have to juggle with other things going on in life.

Anyway, I won't keep all of you waiting any longer!

I hope you all enjoy reading this chapter!

"Issei..." Erza lightly cusses under her breath at this turn of events. Standing beside her, Jellal grimaces at the projector feed. "To think it would come to this..."

It did not feel long ago for Erza and Jellal when they accompanied Nawin and Issei in search for the Lightning Gemstone. To witness things drastically changing in such a way and at such a short amount of time only furthers fuel in the pair's minds of just how impactful Nawin's decision to walk down this path is.

"C-can Nawin-kun keep going?" Misako mutters out, clenching her hands close to her chest. "He must be tired, and now... Issei-san is there." Misako feels her heart throbs at her own last words. She recognizes that Nawin cares much for Issei. Even though he hides it, she believes that having to go to battle with Issei will be difficult for Nawin.

Akame's keen and observant orbs stay on her King. His breathing is evident, although his eyes scarcely exhibit exhaustion. Witnessing how Nawin fought against Rias and her party, Akame conceded that Nawin was fighting smart and saving mana. He hardly utilized spells in his arsenal and kept the use of Speeding Shadow God to a minimum.

"He will be fine, Misako."

Ichiru turns to the right and looks at Akame, whose eyes have not left the screen. "Nawin-kun can still go..." "But how will he fair," Jellal inserts, garnering the girls' attention. "Issei is very good. And from what I am seeing, he is in top shape. Nawin will have a tough battle ahead of him."

Jellal recounts clearly the battle that happened above the mountain during their trip to finding the Lightning Gemstone. When Issei let himself go at that moment after witnessing what happened to Nawin, Jellal knew at that moment that Issei held a much greater power within him than even he himself realized.

Akame steers her eyes back to the projection. She shows no distress over Jellal's words.

Koruka stays some distance away from the ground, leaning against one of the pillars, arms crossed underneath her breast. She peers behind and spots the faintest of smirks over Ophis's face.

That smirk of satisfaction on the Dragon God's face causes Kuroka's grip around her arms to tighten. She looks away to hide the look of scowl threatening to form on her lips.

'Issei Hyoudou...' Ophis examines the Boosted Gear wielder with mild interest. 'You will be a fine subject to push my Makasha and test his resolve.'

Land of Ends

Anger boils within Issei when he gazes upon his fallen friends. All of them visible in the night, laid across the cold and broken ground. Defeated by the hands of a person he considers a brother.

Dragging his eyes to behind, Issei comes across his lover lying there still on the floor. Yet though she is unconscious, Issei observes those sharp brows of her furrowing, creating an almost sorrowful expression. And seeing that produces a painful throb in Hyoudou's chest.

'You did all you could to stop him, didn't you, Rias?' Issei looks down at Akeno and sees her right arm is stretch out, directing straight at Nawin as if desperately trying to reach out for him. '