Chapter 174: The Next Step, Truth

Hello everyone! It's been a while. I'm sorry that this took so long. Real life and writer's block has gotten in the way. This chapter was definitely a challenge for me. Luckily, I managed to pull it through to present it to all of you! I hope you all will enjoy it.

The world is still crazy as ever, so I hope all of you are in good health and are doing well. Please stay safe, everyone. Do enjoy the latest chapter!

A sensation of lightness, almost airiness, courses throughout Hyoudou's body, bestowing an impression that he is being lifted off his feet, hovering in the air. A thumbing sensation abruptly hits his heart, draws him slowly awake, his conscious growing more alive till his eyelids unfold themselves.

The first thing that greets those brown orbs is the abyss. An environment barren of color and life. Bleakness and darkness are all that the surrounding has to offer.

Blinking slowly to rid of the drowsiness still muddling his mind, Issei leisurely gazes around. And, his brows quickly raise and his orbs twinkle in realization to where he is. This scenery is instantly recognizable.

Thrusting his upper-body forward, Issei maneuver himself to get in a standing position.

"Ddraig!"

Issei calls out into the darkness. Rather than echoing, his words is swiftly cease to silence shortly after it exclaimed. As if the world has swallowed up his words the moment it withdraws from his lips.

"Ddraig! I know you are here!"

Issei calls out again while scouring around at all sides, waiting for a flicker of sight of the Welsh Dragon.

Again, Hyoudou's calls vanish in the abyss, rendering unreturned. And it does him no favor, burning this worry within him even more.

"Ddrai—" "Oh, shut your mouth, Partner!"

A sharp gasp comes out from Hyoudou's mouth before he swiftly turns around toward the source of the voice.

The significant grin Issei wears immediately morphs to an expression that leaves his mouth agape and his eyes bulging.

"D-Draig?!"

Floating there in front of him is indeed the Welsh Dragon no doubt. However, rather than being this familiar towering figure that spells power and destruction, striking fear at the hearts of anyone that has the misfortune to lay eyes on him. Now, the dragon in front of Issei is merely a size of a hawk. Flapping his small wings to keep afloat, the dragon stares at his wielder with those deadpan emerald orbs.

"... When have you gotten so cute, buddy?" Issei points out before snickering.

Ddraig growls at the jab, not finding it amusing in the slightest. Flapping his wings vigorously, Ddraig bolts forward and head-butts Hyoudou right at the temple of his forehead.

"Aaah! Hey!" Issei yelps out, then grabs his forehead. He grunts at the stinging pain.

For a small dragon, Ddraig still packs a hefty strike.

"I'll do worse if you call me cute again!" the dragon warns with a snarl, clearly far from being in a good mood. "Geez," Issei rubs his head a few times before releasing it, "You are grumpier than ever." "Look at me! Of course, I'll be grumpy about this!"

Issei cannot help but let out a hearty chuckle. With the jest push aside, he wears a bright grin, overjoyed to be reunited with the Welsh Dragon.

"It's good to hear from you, Ddraig," Issei says. The grin wearing on his face scales down to a warm smile. "Got me worried there for a while."