Chapter 173: Anguish, Black Flash: The Traitor

Hi everyone! It's been a while. Once again, thank you for always being patient with me. Unfortunately, life has just been busy with me recently. However, I hope all of you are doing well and in good health!

This chapter definitely took a lot of time. It is the longest chapter I have ever written. Actually, just out of curiosity, I went back to compare it to some of the past chapters, and it is not even close. So, I hope all of you will enjoy this long chapter!

There's a lot to unwrap in this chapter, so have fun, readers!

"Rias."

Blinking at the sound of her name, Rias carefully sets the hot cup of jasmine tea down on the holder. She looks forward to Miraya sitting across from her.

"Yes?"

By chance, the pair ended up finding the other in a small, British-style coffee parlor residing in the center of Kuoh. This specific parlor is one of Rias's favorites in the city. Furthermore, it's become a place she would visit if she ever wished to relieve her mind or craves to read some manga in her lonesome while enjoying the rich teas and variety of delectable sweets the parlor has to offer.

Placing a fork down next to the chocolate cake she ordered, Miraya directs her face at Gremory, entirely centers attention on her.

Without needing to hear what comes next out of Miraya's mouth, Rias can figure out this conversation will be more serious than their previous trades of words that involved typical subjects.

With knowing that, Rias drifts closer to the table, hands folding together and resting on the white cloth surface. She grants her full attention to the human.

"I have an important question I would like to ask you... One that I have desired to ask." "I see. Please, ask away."

Miraya takes a moment to find the suitable words before subsequently opening her mouth.

"Can you explain to me your relationship with Nawin?"

Rias blinks a few times. She is not expecting such a personal question. Yet, when she gazes deep into Culdos's eyes, Rias recognizes this question is crucial to the woman.

Rather than inquiring the reason why Miraya wishes to know of this, Rias dons a tender smile on her lips before opening her mouth.

"Well, to put it bluntly. I love Nawin, and I strongly cherish him within my heart. He has become a person that I am endlessly grateful to be able to call a friend. I look at him very much like family."

Rias stares at her hands for a moment. Her smile shifts towards remembrance. "He has done considerably for the group and for me. Genuinely speaking, I have grown much as a person thanks to him. He made me want to grow more, and the longer I stand by his side, the more confidence I have developed within myself. It is not an overstatement when I declare that I would not be the person I am today if it were not for Nawin's influence. I would take a bullet for him, and I know without a single doubt he'd do the same for me."

Abruptly, a hearty chuckle emerges out from Rias's soft lip. Then, looking up to Miraya, her smile becomes light-hearted.

"Even though he has supplied me with many headaches and stress due to his brash nature, I understood his actions were always for the better of those he cherishes dearly. Nawin is the most selfless person I have ever met, and that nature of his truly changed my group for the greater... It even changed my love, Issei, and encouraged him to mature from the person he once was."

Listening undividedly to every word dripping from Gremory's mouth, Miraya remains silent, holding a firm gaze on Rias's eyes. Then, finally, she perceives it—the joy and love emanating behind those striking turquoise orbs when speaking of Nawin.