Paradise Found (Mastermind X reader)

Requested by: InsanitySevenfold67

Mastermind X Gender-Neutral! Royal Adviser! NightWing! Reader

( Fanart cause again moodboard not found. )

- - -

° Warnings! °

This oneshot contains some mentions of grief / loss of loved one.

I'm not sure if this warning is needed however, I will add this anyways. Also, I apologize if my writing seems at all ignorant towards this sensitive topic.

- - -

Key:

(N/n) - NightWing name

(S/c) - Scale color

(E/c) - Eye color

- - -

♧ 3rd person POV ♧

Under Battlewinner's rule, Mastermind and (N/n) have interacted often. They tend to disagree with many topics. However, now over Glory's rule, these two begin to understand one another.

- - -

☆ (N/n)'s POV ☆

I scoffed as Mastermind came into the room as I was talking with the queen. I bet he's here to update the queen on his cruel experiments on the RainWings. I just don't agree with his methods.

I believe we should understand the RainWings but not it this sense. I believe that RainWings will be nice enough to lend us their land. However, The others (especially Mastermind) are going to war with them. Which doesn't seem right to me especially when there's another war that has been on for years.

- Timeskip -

It has been over 2 weeks since Queen Glory has become our new queen. I personally quite like her. She's more reasonable than Battlewinner was. Anyways, I'm in the NightWing village. I thought it would be a good idea to tell Mastermind that I told him so.

I found his prison sinkhole and flew towards the safe edges. His eyes suddenly jolt to the sound of my talons caressing the soft, grassy forest floor. He gives me a sour look. I glance into his eyes once again and see that they have been leaking tears recently. I immediately soften at the sight.

" Why are you here!? Here you here to laugh at me!? ", He suddenly snapped. My ears slightly droop.
" I was going to tell you so, but you seem upset. Could you tell me what's bothering you? ", I explained and asked in a soft and gentle tone.
His expression softened and he sighed deeply.

" I was thinking about one of my past partners that passed on.. ", He hesitantly admitted. My eyes widened at the statement. I have lost a partner as well, Multiple years ago. I miss them a lot, however I have managed my grief for them for a while so it doesn't affect me as much anymore.

" Could I help you at all? ", I asked softly.
He sighed and slowly nodded his head, indirectly saying ' yes.. '.

- Timeskip -

Me and Mastermind have gotten closer. Also, he has recently been like out of his "RainWing Prison". And with that, He has to adapt to the fusion of the two tribes. Meaning, He has to be nicer to the RainWings, especially the experimented ones that have returned to the Rainforest. I've been helping him with it.

Now, whenever Mastermind is being unsympathetic towards the RainWings, I have to come over and stop him. I guess I'm one of the only dragons he will listen to anymore. That's both comforting and not at the same time.

Right now, I'm watching over the small hybrid dragonet, Peacemaker. He is picking strawberries from the bushes. He picks the berries, and I wash the berries. As he dropped a full basket of berries next to me, he looked up at me curiously.
" Whatcha thinking about? ", He asked.
" Well, Someone. And how I met him. ", I explained. Peacemaker gave me a childish smirk.
" Is that because you love him? ~ ", He asked playfully.
" I- ", I started but stopped and shut my mouth.

I just stared at the small dragonet for a moment. My brain fills up with questions. My face feels slightly more warm.
' Do I? ', I questioned myself.
" Heheheheheheh, You do love him don't you? ", Peacemaker giggled at me. The small dragonet opened his wings and shot himself forwards.
" You love him, you love him, you really really love him ~ ", He said in a sing-a-long voice.
" Hey, get back here! ", I snapped in a playful way and shot myself after the dragonet.

After a small chase, I caught Peacemaker and tickled him.
" HAHAHAHAHHAH, STOP IT (N/n)! ", He laughed loudly. I brought my talons away from his ticklish underbelly. After Peacemaker's outburst of laughter settled, He picked himself up and shook himself. I sighed, amused, and shook my head. I twisted my head towards some sounds of close wingbeats. It was Hope and Mastermind. Hope flew down first towards her son.
" HI MOMMY! ", Peacemaker greeted his mother excitedly.
" Well, Hello ~ ", Hope replied in a playful manner.
Shortly after Hope landed, Mastermind landed close to me. Hope turned to me, her eyes filled with gratitude.
" Thank you. ", She said then, she turned towards her son, " Are you ready to go? "
" Yeah! ", Peacemaker turned to me, " Bye (N/n), See you soon! "
Then, the two dragons flew into the sky. I waved to them as they left.

I turned over to the silent and patient NightWing next to me. I gave him a questioning expression.
" Oh um... ", He started. He looked down and started to slightly fiddle with his claws, mumbling to himself. After a couple of moments, He rose his head and looked at me.
" I uh... want to apologize for um... being mean towards you.. for all those years... ", He confessed.
" Oh, It's alright Mastermind. I've already forgiven you ", I reassured him.
" Well, When we were at the island, I believed I was in the right due to the importance of science and- ", He started to explain. I lightly whacked him with my wing.
" Hey, It's all in the past. ", I stated.

- Timeskip -

It has been a year or two since me and Mastermind became a couple. Mastermind and I's house has recently been finished in the NightWing village. It has many scrolls, purely for Mastermind's obsession over them. Many of the scrolls were given by Queen Coral from her library. Mastermind was so excited when he saw the house for the first time. He looked like a excited dragonet when he spotted all the scrolls. And of course, he went out on one of his usual excited and highly detailed rants.

Starflight and Fatespeaker even come to visit once in a while. I'm glad that Mastermind can still spend time with his son. It's quite cute honestly. I'm also glad that I'm accepted as a part of the family.

- - - - - - - - - -

This one is actually pretty cute. It was kinda fun to write :)

Published: Nov 24th, 2021

(Edited: Feb. 8th / 2023)