The prince and his protecter (Fathom X reader)

Requested by: Ilikedragonsbro

Fathom X Strong and Polite! Guard! Gender-neutral! SeaWing/IceWing hybrid! Reader

- - -

Key:

(H/n) - Hybrid name

(S/c) - Scale color

(E/c) - Eye color

- - -

- - - - -

Warnings: Graphic unalive, violence, and blood.

- - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

☆ 3rd Person POV ✩

(H/n) has been at Fathom's side for a very long time now. Even if they were a hybrid, Queen Lagoon assigned them to Fathom as his personal guard. This was because his animus powers were just discovered.

(H/n) smiled with a spear in talon and their (e/c) eyes on the sea green SeaWing prince. Indigo, Fathom's other best friend, was on Fathom's opposite side, protecting the prince as well. This evening, a delightful banquet was held for an alliance with the SkyWings. Princess Sunset and a fellow diplomat, Eagle, attended this celebration and were having a positive experience.

The sun was glistening on the horizon, shading the sky with streaks of deep orange, yellow, and a hint of red. The ocean appeared like paint strokes on a canvas, very pleasing to the eye. The sounds of the occasion would fade into the background as one stared admiringly into the view.

All of a sudden, a loud roar was heard, and a splatter of deep red stained the hardened floor. (H/n) whipped their (s/c) scaled head towards the commotion, in a defensive position. which, Indigo did the same. Queen Lagoon was on the ground, dead, in a pool of her own blood. 

An animus-touched knife was sliced through her neck. The well-respected animus, Prince Albatross, stood over her body with a demonic-looking grin. He looked back over to the flabbergasted crowd, eyeing the SkyWing guests in particular. Princess Sunset was next. 

Luckily, Prince Fathom was unharmed, due to (H/n)'s and Indigo's loyal protection. However, the rest couldn't be said about the rest of the royal family. Many lay dead, even the some of SeaWing musicians who were there, performing. With the death of Queen Lagoon, Princess Pearl was risen to the throne, as she was the only living heir at the time. And what her first order of business which made (H/n) feel pain in their chest.

Queen Pearl had ordered a complete ban on animus magic, and prohibited (H/n) and Indigo being close to Fathom, as they were his closest friends. Despite this, (H/n) tried their best to see Fathom as much as they could, along with their (e/c) eyes lighting up every time they saw him. However, (H/n) believed that all of this paid off that a year after the tragedy, (H/n) was assigned to be one of Fathom's guards on this very special mission in the NightWing kingdom.

When Fathom and Darkstalker met, Darkstalker seemed to glare at (H/n). They felt very uneasy by this, staying close to Fathom's side, their spear held firmly in their (s/c) talon. They knew they had to protect Fathom at all costs, which Darkstalker was definitely a threat in (H/n)'s eyes. They knew that Indigo would agree as well, as if they could feel her with them, despite her still being back home, in the royal guard. 

As the time passed, (H/n) began to feel off. Their heart began to almost pound in their (s/c) chest when close to Fathom. Almost as if they were in danger, having short breaths. The protective instincts that were present in (H/n) for Fathom were way stronger than before. Their heart just melted at the sight of him. Then, they remembered overhearing dragons when they were just a little dragonet... This was what love felt like.

' But... I can't be in love with the prince of all dragons! I mean, he's just cute, and handsome, and sweet, and caring- NO! Queen Pearl would have me executed if I told him. But, I just want to be by his side forever... However, I doubt posing as a guard would work... ', (H/n) thought, being conflicted with their new feelings for the animus prince.  

" Hey, (H/n) ... Could I talk to you? ", Fathom asked, as both dragons got into his temporary room. 

" Of course, your majesty. I'm all ears. ", (H/n) nodded, turning back away from the door and towards Fathom with a calm gaze.

" I just wanted to say thank you. ", Fathom admitted, fiddling with his dark green talons a bit. 

" Thank you... for what? ", (H/n) asked, in a soft tone, tilting their head slightly.

" For staying by my side. I know that I'm a burden to live with. And I just wanted to say thank you for dealing with me. ", Fathom clarified, his grayish-green eyes not meeting (H/n)'s (e/c) ones. 

" Oh... Fathom, you were never, ever a burden. You are one of my best friends. I wouldn't trade you for anyone. Seriously, I will stay by your side until the day I go down. ", (H/n) began to smile, trying to reassure him as best as possible.

The sea green SeaWing almost began to blush at this, chuckling lightly.

" Thank you. ", He manages to say after a short time. 

- Short Timeskip - 

Clearsight handed Fathom her moonstone bracelet. He looked at it, timidly observing it in his talons.  

" Please, Darkstalker must be stopped. ", Clearsight pleaded, with her tone filled with urgency.

Fathom looked over to (H/n) with his gaze looking for guidance. (H/n) gazed back into his eyes, having a calm, yet confident look. They nodded, gesturing to the bracelet. Fathom sighed then, whispered a spell to the bracelet, enchanting it. He gave the bracelet back to Clearsight.

" Goodbye Fathom and (H/n). ", Clearsight stated, simply, before flying off with the bracelet around one of her talons.

The sun glistened over the water's surface as it arose over the horizon. (H/n) awoke with a yawn, stretching their muscles. (H/n) blinked, spotting Fathom looking at the water. Their (e/c) eye filled with a dash of worry that the SeaWing's expression.

" Are you alright? ", They asked, bounding over to him.

" I'm fine. It's just... ", Fathom trailed off, with a sigh.

(H/n) frowned, putting their (s/c) talon close to hiss, showing that they were there for him. Surprisingly, Fathom moved his talon closer as well, causing them to touch. 

" Again, thank you for dealing with all of that. Seriously, I couldn't have done it without you. ", Fathom stated, still avoiding eye contact despite the small smile that began to appear across his snout.

" Could I tell you something important, your majesty? ", (H/n) asked, seeming a bit nervous.

" Just call me Fathom. ", Fathom reminded, with a smile nod, answering the question.

" My apologies. I wanted to say that I... I love you, Fathom. I understand if you don't feel the same way, however I want to be with you through bad and good times. Even if I was ripped from my guard duties, if I'm able to spend my time with you, I will do so in a heartbeat. ", (H/n) confessed, having a soft blush across their snout.

" I... I love you too, (H/n). ", Fathom replied, blushing intensely. 

Then, he quickly kissed their cheek, causing them to blush more. They put their (s/c) talon to the cheek that he kissed and sighed, lovingly. They seemed to be in a state of bliss.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Heyyyyyyyyyy, my readers. If you didn't hear, I got the computer that I've been wanting to get, so hopefully my writing becomes more frequent. Of course, school could still get in the way of it, but it will be better than nothing. 

Please enjoy the new oneshots that will soon be coming out + this one!!!

( Published: Dec. 26th / 2023 )