New home, new love (Jambu X reader)

Requested by: LittleBlip_

Jambu X Hesitant! Gender-neutral! NightWing! Reader

- - -

Key:

(N/n) - NightWing name

(S/c) - Scale color

(E/c) - Eye color

(F/f) - Favorite fruit

- - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

☆ 3rd person POV ☆

Things felt weird under the rule of Queen Glory. Even if there wasn't much danger from the volcano anymore, this didn't exactly feel like home. Especially to a NightWing named (N/n).

' This isn't right. I want to go home. ', (N/n) thought, curling their (s/c) tail into themself.
They sighed, their (e/c) eyes heavy. Noises of the Rainforest flicked through their ears. However, then a flutter of wing-beats followed.

" Are you alright? ", A voice asked, as the flicker of wing-beats subsided.
(N/n) looked over and spotted the RainWing Prince Jambu at their side with patches of light blue on his ruffs and tail.
" I want to go home. ", They admitted, their (e/c) eyes shifting away from him.
" But you are home though. ", Jambu stated, a bit confused.
" It just isn't the same. This isn't right. This isn't home. ", (N/n) told him, shaking their (s/c) head.

Jambu sighed, and looked away for a moment. Then, he had an idea, signaled by splatters of bright lemon yellow that scattered on his scales.
" Food always makes me feel better. Would it make you feel better too? ", He questioned, with a smile.
(N/n) considered the idea for a couple of seconds, thinking it over.
" Well, some food definitely wouldn't hurt. ", They told him, getting up.

" What's your favorite fruit, by the way? ", Jambu asked, tilting his head.
" Uh... It's (F/f). ", (N/n) stated, slowly.

Soon, the two dragons were sharing a variety of fruits together. Jambu mostly ate bananas. While (N/n) mostly munched on (f/f).

" Do you feel better? ", Jambu questioned, calmly.
(N/n) looked at him, then a smile appeared on their (s/c) face.
" Actually, it does. Thank you. ", (N/n) thanked.
" You're welcome! I know that food makes many dragons happier! ", Jambu exclaimed, flaring his yellow-shaded, vibrant raspberry pink wings.

- Timeskip -

It's been quite a few months since Jambu and (N/n) began to hang out more and more. They seemed like best friends as time passed. Plus, while being with Jambu, (N/n) became more comfortable in their surroundings. They slowly opened up, becoming more relaxed and happy.

(N/n) stretched in their strong tree hammock, feeling the soft sun rays on their (s/c) scales. They took a big breath, relaxing their muscles. The fresh oxygen felt cool and smooth inside of their lungs.

' Why don't I go see Jambu? ', The (s/c) NightWing thought to themself.
Why, that was a great idea. He was one of the reasons they feel like home here, after all.

With that prompt fresh in their mind, (N/n) arose from the leafy hammock. They then spread their (s/c) wings and took flight. It wasn't long before they found him.

" Hey Jambu! ", (N/n) announced, flying over to him.
" Oh, it's my favorite dragon! Hey (N/n)! ", Jambu greeted, with a large grin upon his pink face.

They landed beside him, softly on their (s/c) talons.
" So, what brought you to me? ", Jambu asked, playfully.
" Ehh, I just thought, why not see that pink RainWing that always greets me with a smile? ", (N/n) answered.
" Awwww! That's so cute! ", He cooed, cutely.
" Hey! Don't be such a mushy banana! ", They shouted, jokingly, swishing their (s/c) wing at him.

" Actually, I do have a reason that I always greet you with a smile, you know. ", He admitted.
" Really? I thought you did that to everyone. Just in a typical friendly way. ", They told him, honestly.
" Well, I do try to, but I have a reason behind why I always smile at you as if I had the best sun-time in forever. ", He stated.
" Yeah? What is this mysterious reason then? ", They asked.

" I love you, (N/n). Everything you appear, I feel like I've had just eaten the absolute best and the sweetest fruit in the world. It seems to make my heart glow bright like the sun. I can't get you out of my head. I really want to be yours, (N/n). Only if you accept, of course. ", Jambu confessed.
(N/n) felt their heart skip a beat as they heard his words. They felt a strong blush flutter upon their (s/c) cheeks.
" Jambu... I... I would love that. You are the reason the Rainforest feels like home. Home is where the heart is, after all. ", (N/n) admitted.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Short, but full of that sweet fluff!

I haven't done Jambu in this book yet, so I enjoyed writing this oneshot. More underused characters need more attention! Thank you. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this playful prince <3

Also, one more thing, I like to imagine that Glory taught Jambu about consent and boundaries, because yes. He's still a bit bad at it still, but he's trying his best <3

Published: Jan. 30th / 2023