Chapter 40: The Hyung Card

||

~No one's POV~

||

In the silent room, only the ticking hands of the clock and shuffling sounds of frantic searching could be heard.

"Come on..." Jimin muttered grabbing the following file.

The quest to search more about the Kim family's background has him enter the police record room to search for their databases. Connections in the police grant protection and information, both.

Till now, he hasn't managed to find out much about them. However, he got his hands on the family tree, which was still something.

Beep beep.

The watch on his hand flickered as Y/N's message popped in.

Head to the cafe ASAP.

Jimin exited the record room and pulled his hood down to get on his bike. Minutes later he stopped in front of the back door of the cafe.

Maria ushered him inside and locked the door, gesturing to the table where Y/N was sitting.

Jimin sat down and gulped down half of the hot chocolate before pulling out his notes to show them to Y/N.

"About the Kim family? I suspected that much." Y/N shrugged taking the papers from him as he began explaining.

"I asked Jin about his family, and it looked like it was a really sensitive topic. So I decided to dive in because if my suspicions are correct, the boys have something to do with this. They are already connected to the Kim family, our primary suspect."

Y/N nodded slowly roving her eyes over the files, the numerous scandals and FIRs under the Kim family which were buried under the files.

"By what we know, Kim Chanyoung has a lot of dirty businesses, but his son is never mentioned in any of them. I couldn't track any of the people working under him, because no one was ever replaced or fired, as per the records. There might be other possibilities but to find out the inner workings someone should go in there."

Y/N flicked her eyes toward Jimin's eyes, already knowing what he had in his mind.

"No. You are not going there. I can't risk anyone else getting hurt, definitely not alone," Y/N put down the files on the table and pointed a threatening finger at the boy. "You will not go out in secret or I'll personally kill you."

Jimin sighed. "This is the only way-"

"No."

"You sent Sunghoon-"

"I sent him to work under Jaehwa. Jaehwa is dumb. If I'd taken down his men even in front of him he would have looked at the sky and marveled at the birds. Here we are talking about the Kim family, one of the biggest families in Asia. No means no." Y/N declined firmly.

Jimin slumped back in his seat, sulking.

A pair of heels clicked on the floor as Maria sat near the duo wiping her hands off her apron. All cafe lights were turned off, except the ones they were sitting under.

"Gosh, this day was exhausting! So what did you find about the brothers, eh?" Maria asked leaning back in her seat.

Maria wasn't working with them for a long time, but enough to gain their trust and for Y/N to believe in her loyalty. It involved a very classic tale of a spilled coffee, frantic apologies, and a job offer. A story for another day.

"Enough to know that Chanyoung is dangerous and Jimin should probably stay away from him," Y/N emphasized the name earning an annoyed huff from the person in question.