Chapter 44: Long Time, No See?

||

~No one's POV~

||

Taehyung watches the frogs jump about the water as a sudden hand on the shoulder startles him

"Hey, what are you doing here?" Jin asks, confused and concerned in equal amounts seeing his brother sitting out here, alone and deep in thought.

"Do you remember this Hyung?" Taehyung asks, turning back to the pond.

Jin follows his gaze and sees the inscribed gravestones. Each with different names engraved on them in the loving memory of the frogs that lived there.

"What is there to remember?" Jin asks, perplexed.

"He had told me his house has a pond. He never told me it was this beautiful." Taehyung mumbled.

Jin widened his eyes, everything clicking in place.

He remembered the small snippets of memories he had spent with him, who had helped them survive and be safe during their darkest times. And whenever asked for a reason, he would always say the same words.

"A story for another day."

Taehyung glanced at his older brother, whose eyes widened every second as he made parallels with everything he has told them.

The pond.

The house.

The paintings.

The partner.

Everything.

Jin gasped.

"You mean, it was really him?" Jin whispered in disbelief.

"What do you think? We have been ignoring everything since forever. The familiar face. The familiar house. Even the same type of books. It was right in front of us but we closed our eyes!" Taehyung stood up angrily.

Jin shook his head. "If this is a trap, we need to get away from here. We can't stay here!"

"If we do, Giho will be after us. We are his main focus, Y/N is just a way to get to us. We can't run. Not now. Not again." Taehyung shook his head in strong denial.

"But-"

Taehyung cut Jin off mid-sentence with a fierce sense of authority.

"I don't know if this is a trap, or a coincidence, or a big plan, but I do know one thing that he has taught me. To keep my family safe. And for that, if I have to play along with this filthy scheme, I will. And no one can stop me."

Taehyung turned on his heels and walked away toward the house, not wanting to see the pond and flowers anymore.

Jin stood there, torn between his instinct to protect his brothers and to believe his possible allies.