Chapter 48: It Hurts

||

~No one's POV~

||

Maria sat on the bench on the porch outside, gazing at the view ahead.

This was one of those days where his memories became too overwhelming to bear, and all she could do was remember them again and again in hopes of getting numb to the pain.

Maria with the boy of her age, both smiling and laughing as they splashed each other in the first rain of the year. The mud caked their clothes but did they care?

Him asking Maria to sit still as he drew a portrait of her but Maria kept making funny faces at him. The portrait came out a bit messy, but she loved it all the same.

Maria twisted her wrist and the pocket knife flew out flawlessly. He clapped his hands and proceeded to teach her how to close it back. She learned it all just to see his proud smile at her, and only at her.

Y/N watched the duo as they prepared a cappuccino coffee for her with a gun on it. The gun turned out to be more like a blob of cream, but she drank it happily. Behind her, the duo was sipping their own coffee, sneaking glances at each other but none of them knew Y/N knew everything.

He and Maria, both were scribbling hurriedly on the revision paper Y/N had set for them to study. Maria had tried a million times to cheat the answers from him, but when she snatched the paper from him, it was her portrait he was trying to hide.

Maria read a book to him as he lay in bed, high on fever. His cheeks were flushed red, just like hers were, not because of the temperature or the fever, but because their hands fitted in each other seamlessly.

The duo giggled inside the cupboard where Y/N had sent them for seven minutes in heaven. He asked her if he could kiss her. She said yes. And even Y/N didn't disturb their seven minutes in heaven which turned to a crying confession only they knew.

He kissed her forehead at night, as she clung to his arm still asleep. His last kiss before he left, not able to glance back in fear that he would never leave. Maria clung to the pillow which was definitely not like his form, but the sleepiness kept her from calling him back.

His bloody shirt was in her hand as Y/N wiped away her tears which kept flowing down mercilessly. The bloody shirt and the kiss on the forehead were his only parting gift till he was gone forever.

A tear rolled down her cheeks as others followed.

It always ended up like this.

Her, crying over someone who she knew would never return.

And she cried and cried until she could cry no more.

Then she got up, wiped her tears, and wished the crying hours would open a little late next time.

It hurt, but she had to bear it.

Their love was always like the sun and moon. Even though they seem to be made for each other, they are yet so so far away.

||

~Somewhere else~

||

The boy smirks in victory as his plan was successful and he could finally relax slightly.