Chapter 51: Noona

||

~Y/N's POV~

||

The ground is upside down.

So are the trees.

And the sky is under my feet.

Everything looks upside down when you are hanging from the oak tree in the middle of the woods contemplating your life.

A normal person would have suffocated in the first few minutes, but years of yoga practice and training have made me able to hold this position for ten minutes maximum.

I can almost feel Youngsoo's proud gaze on me like the day I had been hanging for 3 minutes.

He was awestruck.

And then promptly proceeded to break my record by aiming to stay hanging for four minutes.

He couldn't.

And I fed him chocolate ice cream to lighten up his mood.

And he was happy, again.

Life was so simple back then.

Training, studies, sibling time.

Repeat.

Not running for your life, not being attacked every other day, and absolutely not sheltering rival mafia's runaway kids.

Youngsoo would be so excited if he was here.

Youngsoo.

The name itself brought back pain in my chest and warmth in my heart.

If I would have left the remaining guards to die of blood loss and focused on my brother, he would have been alive.

Right?

This whole game of what-ifs is futile.

Because it can never come true.

And what happened can not be undone.

My head is now feeling like it would blast.

Maybe I'm thinking too much. Or maybe because I've been hanging for 11 minutes, way past my highest record.

But I don't want to get off.

Maybe if my head fills with enough blood to drown a walrus, it might blast.

And I can finally meet Youngsoo.

And order him to get me food, just like I did before.

And get him in trouble, just like I did before.

And tell him how dramatic was my death, not like before.

Moments pass and the pain becomes so unbearable I have to swing myself up to get a hold of my vision and thoughts.

I was about to die hanging upside down.

"Holy shit," I put a hand to my pounding head, my vision getting black spots everywhere. My heartbeat was racing faster than Formula I cars and my lungs were pumping madly.

I can't die.

I've let one of my comrades die.

I can't let the others die too.

Including me.

This was a bullshit idea.

"Now I think it's normal," I look around, blinking rapidly, to clear my blurry vision. My head had stopped aching, and I could breathe normally again.