Best Present Ever

Scarlet woke up on Christmas morning. A thought had struck her in her dreams. She fiddled with the contents in her bag as she searched for something. Whilst with her other hand she scrawled the rest of her letters.

- is working out. We haven't been in contact much and I feel like we keep drifting apart. Maybe it's just me that thinks this. I don't want us to end but whatever you want is fine. Actually you probably don't want to date a monster like me. I'll see you around...

Scarlet...

Scarlet paused her search and rolled up her parchment.

"Hazelnut! Come here!" Scarlet growled.

Her owl fluttered over and obediently stuck out its leg. Scarlet fastened the letters to the owls leg and then looked it in the eye.

"These are for Remus, he's at The Burrow, and Fred, I'm not sure where he might be... Just get it to them." She stroked Hazelnut's beak and then watched her fly out the window.

Scarlet returned to searching in her book when at last she found what she was looking for. There was a small handbook that her father had given her former fifteenth birthday. In the handbook it had small diagrams of one particular species of dragon. It also had the more fluent tongue of this dragon.

The Hungarian Horntail.

---

"Charlie I want you to take me to the Horntail's enclosure, I want to have a chat with it." Scarlet said bluntly over breakfast.

"What?!" He gasped and spat food all over Sunday.

"Very mature, very well-mannered..." Sunday rolled her eyes and wiped her face with a handkerchief.

"Stop whining, feel blessed, it must bean honour, I don't usually spit on people!" Charlie roared with laughter.

"Okay let's go then." Scarlet stood up ready to leave.

"Go where?" Charlie shovelled more food in his mouth.

"The Horntail's enclosure."

"No! I won't let you." He laughed.

"Well I go by myself then."

"No that Horntail is very aggressive right now, it's not safe..." This time it was Jhuck who spoke, he hadn't said a word before now.

"Well I have too! It's the perfect timing. No other time would offer the opportunity." Scarlet reasoned.

"Yeah but-" Charlie was interrupted by Jhuck.

"Let her go, this may be her only chance..."

"Thank you!" Scarlet sighed and Charlie simultaneously groaned in defeat.

---

"May I speak with the dragon that resides here?" Scarlet spoke in dragon.

"What is of you?" A deep, aggressive voice boomed as the Horntail landed before her.

"I merely wanted to speak with you. Oh noble dragon." She bowed lowly.

"Speak quickly!" It snapped.

"I'm Scarlet. What is your name?"

"I'm Febrile. What do you seek?"

"I merely wanted to say hello and ask if you are well?"

"Since when has a human wondered for a dragons mind?"

"Am I the first?"

"First in a long time... But what do you truly desire?"

"To ask for a favour."

"We dragons do not help you humans!"

"I-" Scarlet didn't get to finish her sentence.

---

CHARLIE'S P.O.V

"Scarlet!" I yelled trying to warn her. The Horntail had raised its tail ready to strike.

She only just managed to turn around when the tail collided with the upper left side of her body. Knocked cold out she collapsed blood spattering from her arm and somewhere near her face.

I darted towards her as her body hit the floor. Wary of the angry dragon in front of me. I noticed that the dragon was rearing its head clearly meaning it was ready to incinerate her body. I reached out for Scarlets right arm and pulled quickly. I would have preferred to be more careful but considering the state we were in I wasn't going to reach it.

---

I just got out of the enclosure my hair windswept and the back of my legs burned. Scarlets limp body is still bleeding beside me. I'm not good with healing charms so I should get her to the hospital quickly. I lean down and pick her up bridle style. Her left side pinned to my chest, I'm doing my best to stop the blood loss. I run as quickly as I can whilst carrying her weight. from what I can feel the bones in her left arm are shattered.

I lay her down in the hospital bed but before I leave to look for a healer, I still need to help her as best I can. I tear my shirt from my body and fasten it around her arm. Then I lean my body over her -I'm so close- to check her pulse in her right wrist. -She's so beautiful even if she's unconscious- There's a pulse I breath a sigh of relief.

Before I run off I press my lips to her forehead. This might be the only chance I get...