35 - I'm Sorry

I pulled up to Nate's place, there were people everywhere. Crowding the front porch and music was coming from inside.

I messaged Nate and told him I was here for Rhea. He replied asking me to come in and help her out.

Nervously, I got out of the car and walked towards the house.

I brushed past people on the porch and went inside. The house smelt of weed, and pure alcohol.

She wouldn't have been smoking...

I searched the entry for Rhea, and decided to look in the kitchen. She wasn't there. Making my way through the crowd in the living room, I found Rhea half asleep on the couch with her legs lying on Nate.

Nate noticed me and touched Rhea on the shoulder lightly. She didn't wake up.

I squat beside her and caressed her arm. "Rhea?" I whispered.

She flinched and her eyes opened slowly. They locked on me and she slowly sat up.

Then her arms locked around my neck and she pulled me into a tight hug. I felt some wet on my shoulder and pushed her away.

She was crying. Now that I was looking, her eyes were puffy, and red. She had been crying.

I looked to Nate. "Did she smoke anything?"

He shakes his head. "Don't reckon, she doesn't touch that stuff."

"Alright, thank you." I tell him and help Rhea up off the couch. She complies quietly and lets me take her away.

She stumbles over her own feet, trying to keep up with me. "Come on." I tell her and open the passenger door.

Rhea slides in and relaxes into the seat.

I hop in and turn the engine on. Taking off Rheas speaks through the silence. "I've never been so lonely."

"Now?" I turn to her.

"Not now. Before." She said

"You were with Nate. With heaps of people." I tell her.

Rhea huffs beside me. "Not with you..."

I don't acknowledge it. She's drunk and she could very well not want to talk to me.

But Rheas mouth keeps running.

"My-my" she mumbles, struggling to find her words. "My mother likes you now."

I don't reply. What does that mean? She told her mother about us.

Rhea keeps blabbering. "And Dad was surprised but it's alright now. It was for the best."

I couldn't help but asking. "What was for the best?"

She's silent for a second. I check on her and she's looking out the window, eyes fluttering. "What you did on tv." She says.

My eyes droop.

Rhea says. "They didn't know."

I ask. "Who didn't know what?"

Rhea replies quickly, rather angrily. "My family didn't know I was bisexual."

I was shocked. Upset. Angry.

So angry at myself.

It made sense.

Her family didn't know yet. I hadn't even thought of that. People around the gym knew she liked men and women, but I never thought her family didn't know.

I guess why would they if they were across the world.

But... now they did... because I kissed her on the tv. In front of everyone.

Fuck. I didn't even think.

I feel so guilty. She has every right to hate me.

I stay silent as Rhea keeps talking about how her family didn't know. About how she called them and they had questions. She had to come out over the phone...

Eventually, we got to Rheas. I helped her inside, and up the stairs. Respectfully undressed her and got her under the covers.

She was already tired just undressing.

As I was about to leave her she grabbed onto my wrist. "Touch me like how I touch you."

"Rhea..." I plead. "Sleep." I tell her. "You're drunk and I'm not taking advantage of you."

Her hand starts rubbing at my skin, wanting more. "Do it. Take advantage. I want to."

"You don't." I say, and let her go. "Sleep, you'll feel better. I'm sorry."

I go into the bathroom and gather some things, when I return Rhea is dead asleep. I pack all my things up and take my suitcase quietly downstairs.

Hop in my car and drive back to my apartment.