61 - Right Next To You

I didn't even know how to help her.

All I did was get her a glass of water and sunk beside her on the couch. Pulled her into my chest and let her slowly breathe into me. I kept asking her if she wanted anything but she didn't reply.

I asked her if she wanted to go to sleep and she shook her head. Right, I doubt she could get to sleep.

So I just held her for hours. She hardly moved, only every now and then to wipe at her cheek and the tears there.

We sat in the silent and dark home for so long. My body was aching at how badly I needed to stretch. I could only imagine how Rhea would be feeling.

After the match where she had to be pissed already at me for not tapping out quick enough. Then to be told her Grandpa had died straight after.

I did what I could. I whispered against her ear, breaking the hours of silence. "I'm sorry, Rhea..." she kept quiet but I kept going. "About your Grandpa. About the match, baby."

Rhea adjusted against my chest, coming closer against me.

It was different holding her like this. Having her using me as a support system. Having her deep in my chest and breaking...

I cleared my throat. "Want to call your mum or dad? Your sister?" I asked her. I'm pretty sure her family would be up, probably worried sick about her. Her phone has been buzzing but she'd been ignoring it. "They'll want to see if you're alright."

Rhea nodded gently in my head.

I reached over her shoulder and grabbed her phone. She had multiple missed calls from her mom, dad and sister. One even from I think was her uncle. "Your mom?" I asked Rhea.

She nodded against me.

I unlocked her phone and dialled her mom. Rhea slowly sat up, her eyes red, lips dry and face puffy. God she was still beautiful. But did I hate seeing her like that.

Rhea looked at me a little, as she grabbed her phone and put it to her ear.

Rhea somehow spoke to her mom, who was surprisingly doing well, considering it was her dad. Her mom asked if I was there and rhea told her yes. She seemed glad she had someone with her.

I hadn't met her family, but I felt like I already knew them based on how much she's talked about them.

After some time, Rhea eventually said goodbye, and threw her phone away. She sat with her knees against her chest and sniffling her nose.

I checked the clock and the time was 4:04am. We were both exhausted but I don't know if she could even sleep tonight. "Do you want to hop into bed? Try and get some sleep?" I asked her, quietly.

"I-I don't know, baby, I don't think I can." Her voice was breaking. Choking and strained.

"I'll be right next to you." I told her.

She seemed to like that and she got up from the couch. I brought water and made sure the doors were locked as I followed her in the bedroom.

Rhea was already in the bed, facing the wall and away from me.

My eyes dropped. I absolutely adored this woman. Seeing her like this just made me... I was so upset for her. I hated her like this. Hated seeing her heart break.

I turned the lights off and hopped in bed. Rhea didn't even bother to change her clothes. I slowly went up behind Rhea, hoping she'd let me hold her.

Rhea grabbed my arm and pulled it around her middle. I snuggled real close into her back. The arm wrapped around her front, found her hand and i interlocked my fingers with hers. She squeezed me tightly back.

I loved this woman.

I buried my face in her neck, kissing her once gently there and then laying as close as I could humanly get to her.

"Wake me up if you need me, baby." I told her.

I felt her nod. To hell if I was sleeping until she did.

I think it was only 15 or so minutes before I heard her faintly snoring. That's when I let myself drift off.