Baby-Doll

Batman: The Animated Series 'Fan Fiction Love Story'

By Tayla Drago

Episode #74 – Baby-Doll

Brian Daly, one of the stars of the play 'Death of a Salesman', exits a theater with two co-stars after a performance, only to hear a girl sobbing. Curious, Daly follows the sound and finds a little blonde girl leaning against the wall and crying. He kneels beside her and asks if she's lost. The girl, shielding her face with her hands, claims that her brother has left her by herself. Daly offers her a handkerchief. The girl takes it and thanks Daly, finally revealing her face. A shocked expression crosses his face, but before he can react, he's knocked out-cold by a silhouette from behind. The girl tip-toes around him, apologizing for 'playing rough'. And saying her favorite catchphrase...

"I didn't mean to." she said to look at a newspaper of Megan Tsuki on it to get to next.

Just who was this odd girl? The next day Batman, Megan, and Robin are browsing through photos of missing actors from a 20-year-old sitcom called 'Love that Baby', which Robin remembers from when he was a kid, but admits he never liked the show.

"I remember this show from when I was a kid. It still stinks."

"Love That Baby?" Megan said. "Weird, I only watched 'On My Daily Wife' back then, that was much funnier than this one."

Daly's the latest actor from the show to disappear. There was the mother, father, and brother who went missing...For Gordon shows the three the photos of them today.

"Be as it may, three of the actors from the show have been disappearing this pass few weeks. See for yourselves." he gives them the photos.

From Tod Baker 'who played the father', June Winthrop 'who played the mother', and now Brian Daly 'who played the middle brother' are missing or they have been kidnapped. Megan gets it all down from her computer book.

"I've seen these people in other TV shows and movie films."

All but two more of the girls weren't missing, just yet. One being the older sister actor name Tammy Vance, and the other one?

"And these two?" Batman asks Gordon.

"Vance is in a show at Gotham rep. I have police guards follow her everywhere."

"And this little girl?" Megan asked to show the last photo to Gordon. "Anything about her?"

Gordon looks at it to show the other three.

"Well, the last actress Mary Louise Dahl dropped out of acting some time ago." Gordon answers back.

Megan had trouble seeing other information other than Mary's work from back then from her computer book.

"Mary Louise Dahl who played Baby Doll from twenty years ago..." she then found out about something. "Wait a minute...She was five years old back then, right? Is this an old photo of her?"

"No. That's her today."

Once Gordon said a very shocking part, this confuses Megan so much. She looks at it again to try counting on how old she must be today...

"If she's like this now but was five in acting but twenty back then, that would mark Mary about...thirty something years old?!"

The blond girl, as it turns out, is Mary Louise Dahl, the show's titular 'Baby-Doll'. Per Batman, Dahl suffers from severe systemic hypoplasia, an extremely rare medical condition that prevented her body from physically aging (in her case, she stopped growing past the age of 5). Though she would be 30-years-old now, she still has the looks and body of a small child. That does make perfect sense there.