Bittersweet BonBon

Being a relief engine meant that you spent a lot of time doing nothing. Just waiting to be called upon for whatever. Bonnie never minded doing nothing, but there was a point where it became too much nothing.

   She had gotten a cellphone as quickly as she could, telling the controller that if she's needed, to just give her a call. 

"Are you sure about this, Bonnie?" the controller asked. "What if you're across the island?"

"I'll find a way." she quietly responded. "I quite like being a relief engine, but sitting around doing nothing until I'm called upon gets boring. Plus, I don't plan on ever being very far from the Little Western.."

"Only if you're sure, you're still quite new.."

"I assure you, I'll be on time and take whatever is needed. I'd just like to be out and about instead of sitting there doing nothing."

"You make quite an argument, don't you?" he chuckled. "Alright. I'll pass around your number to all the major outlets in and surrounding the Little Western. They'll tell you all you're needed for."

"Thank you.."

"Now I'm sure you'd like to be off and do you own thing?"

"I..would like that.."

"I can see it on your face, Ms. Miles." the controller laughed heartily. "You hold a lot of your feelings in your face. You remind me of another engine. I'm quite positive you've met him."

   Frowning, Bonnie thought about all the engines she'd met within the past  few months or so. Only one came to mind.

"A red engine..right?"

"Quite right. James is a very expressive fellow. Dramatic compared to you, but he still hold his emotions in his face and voice, well he used to with his voice."

"Used to?"

"Ah.." Sir Topham Hatt trailed off.

   He peered around to make sure that no engines were exiting or entering Knapford Station.

"He lost someone very near and dear to him quite some time ago, and I don't think he'll ever quite be over it."

"That's..very sad, sir..but.." she spoke, her brows furrowing. "Please don't compare me to other engines. With anything, please. 'Oh, you're just like her, or him, or them.' None of that, I really don't like it. I'm my own engine with my own quirks."

"I'll take it into mind, Bonnie. Thank you for being so polite about it. Now be off! Use your free time however."

"I already have things planned sir, and your chattering has made me late.."

"Oops." he sheepishly responded, face going red.

   Bonnie just gave him a polite whistle goodbye, and went on her way to go back to the Little Western.

   She quietly teetered and toodled along, paying no mind to anything but the rails beneath her wheels, listening to music from giant purple, heatproof headphones that she specifically had made for herself, as she quite liked music as she puffed along on the track. Bonnie assured Sir Topham Hatt that she'd still pay attention to her surroundings, and not let the music distract her from her assignments. Plus, how could he say no with the giant kitty ears the headphones had.

   It wasn't surprising to her she got many 'aaaaw' and 'how adorable!'s from various passing engine. It was cute, and she knew it.

   Bonnie took her sweet, sweet time getting back to the Little Western. While she did have plans, as she told her boss, she wasn't exactly late for anything, because Bonnie was her own boss.