Chapter 14

Ryder's POV

"Harry, I am so sorry." I apologize as we both stand in the employee bathroom.

Harry was leaning over the sink washing his face and hair trying to scrub off the stickiness of the soda. I walked over handing him a white towel; still  holding his sunglasses in my other hand.

"It's okay." He says shutting off the faucet taking the towel from me.

Harry straightens running the towel over his face before moving over to dry his hair; as he did the wet fabric of his shirt clung against his chest were I'm able to see the outline of his muscles that ran down his torso. I could also see a few tattoo pieces on his skin, but before I could examine what they were in detail I drop my gaze to the floor; not wanting to get caught starring.

I bite my lower lip, pushing my hair behind my ears.

Clearly, Harry is into keeping his body in good shape and taking care of it so it makes me wonder as to why he would taint it with ink; not that I'm judging. It also makes me wonder if any of the art pieces on his skin define certain aspects of his life.

He is a business man, works for the police, so why would he have ink on his skin? That isn't a common thing to see. Don't they have regulations on these types of things?

The more my mind thinks and wonders about this the more I start to get the feeling that there is something more to him and I can't decide if this feeling is a warning for something dangerous or if it's just my curiosity getting the best of me.

"It was just soda." Harry says pulling me back out of my thoughts, making me glance up at him.

"I've taken worse hits." He adds with a shrug pushing his wet hair back with his fingers. "Are you alright?"

"Yea." I nod before turning around leading us out of the bathroom handing him back his sunglasses.

Honestly, I'm not okay but why show it off?

As Harry and I walk back out to the front I glance up seeing Mr.Burke making his way over to us and a slow uneasy feeling starts to knit in my stomach.

"Ryder, I'm sorry but I'm going to have to let you go." He mutters in a sad yet apologetic tone.

"What? No, this wasn't her fault." Harry frowns trying to defending me, but all I do is nod at Mr.Burke.

"I'm sorry but this has happened more than one time and -"

"I understand." I sigh, interrupting him removing my apron from around my waist before handing it over to Mr.Burke.

I have to respect his decision besides I don't want to cause him any trouble, he has done so much for me already.

"Here, I'll get my things and pay for my food then I'll take you home." Harry says with a small frown on his face as Mr.Burke walks away from us.

"No, you don't have to do that I-"

"Actually Ryder, I think it's a good idea. " Katie interrupts me, agreeing to Harry's offer.

I jerk my head to the sound of her voice seeing her leaning against the counter with a white rag in her hands.

"I'm not going to be off work yet and I'm heading over to Michael's after." Katie continues, her hands mindlessly taking the messy rag in her hands folding it into fours.