Chapter 63

Playlist:
You&I - One Direction

James' POV

"How can you do this Martha? Ryder is starting to open up to you!" I scowl, looking at her in pure disbelief. "I get that she has done things that are difficult to handle but she is just a kid. She has a right to make mistakes."

"Why? Why would you do this? How can you do this?" I repeat, gesturing with my arms for emphasis as I look at Martha standing a few paces away, dressed in all black with her hair tied back into a ponytail.

"You know who I am, I have not lied to you." I shake my head. "I have told you what I have done. I have worked my way up to a stable carrier. I mean what else do you want from me!"

"I love you more than I have ever loved anyone." I add.

"James that's a lie and you know it." She says, her lips pressed into a tight line.

I blink at her, taken back. "What?"

"You loved Lillian." She says and the name alone makes my heart break a bit more than it already was. I feel like I'm back on that night and I'm afraid my love isn't enough for Martha either.

"Of course I did. I had Ryder with her." I honestly reply. "But that has nothing to do with this."

"Do you miss her?" She asks taking me by surprise.

Do I miss her?

"Of course I do. You know what happened...but I love you. I get I'm not easy to love." I reply. "But I am doing my best just... don't go."

"I'll do anything." I add, desperately.

I can't let this happen, not again. I can't lose my wife and I can't have Ryder lose her mom again either.

"I'll ask for less hours at work, we can go on holiday just like you always wanted. You always wanted to go to Rome, we can go." I offer. "We can have date nights every other weekend... just tell me what you want." I say, my voice sad and breaking. "I can fix this I just need to know what you want. I-"

"Get.out.of here." An angry yet broken voice interjects and both Martha and I turn our heads seeing Ryder standing in the entry way with Harry, who had his lips pressed into a sad line. Momentarily, I am frozen in place.

How long has she been there?

"Ryder I was just-"

"No dad. Don't waste your breath." She says stepping further into the kitchen, looking at me, and when her eyes turn to look at Martha a scowl pulls on her face.

"Get out." Ryder orders and I could see the brim of tears in her eyes but she stands her ground.

"Excuse me?" Martha frowns while creasing her brows, not expecting Ryder to order her to do anything.

"You want to leave? Fine." She shrugs. "Then leave, you know where the door is just make sure to not let it hit you on the way out."

Martha's jaw drops, appalled and offended."How dare you-"

"How dare I? How dare you!" Ryder snaps, glaring at Martha and cutting her off short. "You promised you were going to be here for my dad and for me and you lied!"

"Ryder, look, just try to understand where I am coming from I-"

"No!" She protests, her scowl deepening. "I always understand and I don't want to understand! My dad loves you and you threw his heart out the window. You are just a selfish women just like my mother."