Chapter 40

Harry's POV

I blink trying to keep my eyes open as I wait for Ryder to wake up. This hospital chair is fucking uncomfortable but I am not leaving until I know that she is alright.

"I'm sorry I miss judged you." James mutters, breaking the silence in the room. He was leaning against the wall by the door, with his arms crossed over his chest.

"It's okay. I'm use to it." I reply looking over at Ryder who was peacefully asleep.

"No it's not okay." He counters. "I know this is not an excuse but I was only trying to protect Ryder."

"I know." I nod. "You have that right, you are her father."

He scoffs. "A lousy one."

I shrug. "You just have to learn to trust that I won't hurt her."

"I know you won't, it's the other people around you that I am afraid of." He mutters, leaning away from the wall.

"Anyways, I'm going to go talk to Shawn." He adds, before walking out the door.

You and me both James.

Ryder's POV

When I wake I am blinded by the brightness of the white room and it takes a few seconds for my eyes to adjust, the stinging slowly fading away. My eyes take in the details around me before I realize I'm in a hospital room.

Harry did save me after all.

A faint lazy smile tugs on my lips, as I turn my head to the side. My eyes land on Harry sitting on the small couch by the window his cheek, resting against his palm. He was dressed in a pair of black skinny jeans with his pant legs ripped at the knees, pairing it off with a loose grey sweater, a pair of converse covering his feet. His curly soft hair was messily styled back into a wave and I have to admit as casual as Harry looks, he looks glorious. He must have felt me starring at him, because before I know it his eyes flicker over to me.

"Hi." I croak as he stood up.

"Hey baby." He says rushing to my side. "How are you feeling?"

"A bit tired." I mutter.

"Would you like some water?" Harry asks softly, placing his hand over the back of mine, running his thumb across my skin.

"Yes, please."

Harry obliges filling up a cup of water on the bedside table before bringing it to my mouth.

"Small sips." He gently instructs and I do as told. I practically moan as the taste of water fills my mouth.

I never thought plain water could taste so damn good.

"Thank you." I say as he places the cup back down. "How long have I been asleep?"

"Almost a day. Shawn says your vitals are a bit weak but stable. Not much damage was done that can't be fixed with a bit of rest and care." He replies and suddenly, he frowns.

"What?" I ask, blinking at him confused.

"I am so sorry for what Nathan did." He mutters. "I'm sorry I didn't find you fast enough. I swear if I knew it was my brother the first time I saw him then I would-"

"It's okay, Harry." I interrupt him. "It's not your fault, you didn't know either."

"Let's just not forget to thank Hannah for placing me on the pills a long time ago." I add, trying to lighten up the mood.