Chapter 19

*Please don't forget to check out the trailer! *

Playlist:

Shel- I'm just a shadow
The Rassel- Celebrate the days

Mr. Mitchell's POV

"I know Ryder's graduation is tonight but I can't go Shawn. My boss didn't allow me to have the day off since someone else already called off." I say into the phone. "Besides, I have piles of documents I need to fill up and submit."

"Dad you can't be serious." Shawn groans. "Please, don't do this to her again. She was counting on this."

"I know Shawn, believe me I do." I nod. "But my hands are tied."

Shawn sighs. "You promised you were going to have dinner with her afterwards. You two agreed on it a while back remember?"

"Yes I remember. I- I'll make new plans with Ryder later." I stutter.

"Why? So you can break them again?" Shawn snaps, making my heart sink.

"Look dad, I know you are trying." Shawn says in a sad time. "But she needs you. I'm not her parent, I can only do so much."

"I know and I do appreciate you looking after her."

"I may be her stepbrother dad but you know I love Ryder as if we were blood." Shawn says making me smile.

"I promise. I'll try harder."

"Okay. Well, I have to go now or else Hannah and I will be late."

"Okay, bye Shawn." I nod hanging up the phone. I let out an aggravated groan leaning back in my chair, running my hands over my face.

How the hell did things get so bad? How could I let myself believe that I could be a father?

I sniff, standing up from my chair, turning around to look out the office windows onto the night city landscape. Frowning, I shove my hands into my pockets, feeling a huge weight of guilt and disappointed fall on my shoulders as my mind went back to earlier memories of where I started.

"I'm telling you that I am leaving. Aren't you listening to me?!" Anastasia yelled at me through the public phone. The air outside was cold, it was the middle of winter and I had just spend my whole day looking for a job.

"No, wait a second." I say shaking my head, pushing my damp hair off my forehead. "You don't need to worry. I promise I'll get us out of this mess I-"

"I already packed my things. I'm going to hang up and leave."

I scowl. "What about Ryder?"

"She is right here."

"You're going to leave her there!" I hiss through the phone. This is unbelievable.

"If you say you are already on your way home, Ryder will be okay for a few minutes alone."

I shake my head vigorously at her ridiculous words. "Are you out of your fucking mind! She is a child you can't leave her alone! At least wait until I get there."

"Sorry, but my cab is already outside."

"No Ana-" I start to protest but the line went dead.

"Damn it!" I yell slamming the phone on it's receiver before sprinting off down the street. I swear if anything happens to my daughter...