Chapter 21

Harry's POV

The next few days have been filled with work; almost every night I've been getting home late. Not that I hate my job because I don't; but I just hate the fact that the reasons why we have been working so much is there has been more killings. Almost every victim has been a women and their children and occasionally the father of the family as well.

There has to be a common variable to all of this, but what?

"You're going to burn a hole through those files." Liam comments, breaking my concentrated stare and peaceful silence of my study.

"Oh hey, Liam." I say glancing over at him briefly, before leaning back in my black revolving chair, rubbing the back of my hands over my eyes.

"Dude, you have to sleep it's like 2:30 in the morning." Liam says placing a hand on my shoulder.

"Shit. Really?" I say removing my hands from my face, touching the mouse pad on my MacBook to light up the screen. I raise my brows reading the clock.

Damn, he's right.

"Wait, so what are you doing here in my house?" I ask, looking up at him.

"We haven't heard from you these past few days, just wanted to see if you were okay. I told the lads you might just be too deep into your work and I guess I was right." He chuckles.

"Yeah." I sigh, shaking my head. "At first this job and sentence was to just prove my loyalty but now it has suddenly became my life."

"Well hopefully these late nights of looking through files will be over soon." Liam says trying to reassure me.

"Yes, hopefully James does keep his word and gets me out of my damn leash." I grumble. "But at least I can help capture people from the wanted list."

Liam scoffs. "Who knew a con man would help catch other criminals."

"Yeah, yeah." I smile, giving him a shove, standing up from my chair. "Sadly, the one criminal that really needs to be captured we haven't been able to."

"You'll get them." Liam nods. "Besides, you and I both know you won't rest until you do."

"I just have to get him." I mutter in a sad tone while closing the files on my desk.

"I know, Harry." Liam sighs. "Trust me you will. Justice always win."

"But Harry you can't let this control you though." Liam says when I gathered the files into one pile on my desk.

"Why do you say that?"

"Because we all know why you are obsessed with finding this guy."

"It was my fault Liam." I frown, running a hand through my hair before stacking a small packet of papers into the top file.

At least I finished most of my work for tomorrow.

"No, it wasn't Harry." Liam counters. "That man is a total psychopath!"

"Which is why I have to find him, Liam." I scowl turning my body around to face him. "I can't let more people die. I'm not saying they have to do something with me but he does. I have to catch him."

"I promised her." I add.

"Harry, this isn't about what you do in her name, it's about what you do in her absence." Liam says shaking his head taking a step towards me.

"She is gone,Harry. Nothing you do is going to change that." He says looking at me with sympathetic eyes, his words tugging painfully at my heart.