57~ An Emotional Decision

Next day, Anah took leave from work in pretense of doing her work from home. First thing in th morning, she went to the clinic. The nurses at the reception looked at her awkwardly when she told her name as, 'Miss Anah Malik.' They shot a look of disgust at her before writing down her name. They asked her to wait for her turn. As Anah turned around to take her seat she heard one of the nurse murmur, 'Girls these days have become so spoilt. First they go and dirty themselves and then come to abort their mistakes.'

Anah clenched her fists tightly, her heart hurting hearing such statements about her character. Anah hated if anyone pointed a finger at her character but now she herself has given them the reason to point finger at her.

She sighed and took her seat on one of the benches. She turned her head and found a poster of a blue-eyed toddler poking his cute face out of a pink towel. It smiled at Anah. She couldn't help but smile back at the poster. The baby looked so cute, so adorable.

She quickly looked away, nothing should change her mind. This has been to be done – she told herself.

After a while, she got up to get water. As she walked towards the water cooler she heard a cute voice call from behind.

'Mamma! Mamma!'

Anah turned around and found a young boy, around 3years. He wore a red shirt and blue dungaree. With his index finger in his mouth, he blinked at her Anah. She looked at his adorable brown eyes and felt her heart melt. So innocent.

'Mamma.' He called her and Anah had tears in her eyes. She smiled when he opened his tiny arms and walked towards her, almost running.

'Mamma.'

Anah smiled bending little ready to take him in her arms but he walked past her and her smile instantly disappeared.

Anah turned and found the baby boy in arms of a young woman, about Anah's age, she wore a chiffon saree and had sindoor in her parting, she is married. Then Anah saw a man come to her, her husband. He played with the little boy, kissed his forehead and smiled at his wife. Then an old couple came and smiled at the woman, they hugged her, played with the kid. Laughing, they left.

Just then something struck Anah. Had she been married; the scene would have been so different. People wouldn't have been calling her dirty, slut nor calling the baby as garbage or burden. They wouldn't have gasped and taunted her. Instead, they would have been pampering, advising, and blessing her.

What double standards – Anah thought sarcastically.

But a baby is a baby. A mother is a mother. Be it married or not. Anah placed her palm on her lower-belly and wondered, what is the difference between her unborn child and the child she just saw. Just that Anah isn't married and that woman is. Whatever happened between Anah and Ejaz, was it the baby's fault? Ejaz doesn't trust her, she hates him, is it the baby's fault? The people are looking at her with disgust, is it the baby's fault?

No, it is hers and Ejaz's fault then why to kill the baby. Anah debated with herself.

'Mrs. Oops, sorry, Ms. Malik, you are next.' One of the nurses said uninterested. Anah didn't look at the nurse, she turned around and walked away, more like ran away.

No, she can't do this. No matter how much she hates Ejaz; she can't kill her baby. She can't do it. As she left the clinic she had begun to cry badly.

***********************************************************

Ipshita is surprised to see Anah enter their cabin. She looked at her, in blue and white striped top and light blue high waist denim and her hair tied in a high pony tail, Anah looked ready for work. Though Ipshita watched her, Anah doesn't meet her eye. Ipshita too didn't interrupt her. They worked silently.

At lunch time, Ipshita glanced at the wall clock and then at Anah. She stood but the Easel and working on her designs with uttermost attention. Ipshita sighed standing up and walked up to her.

'Anah.'

'Hmm.' She replied, still not looking at her but at the design.

'Lunch?' Ipshita asked. Anah shook her head still not meeting her friend's gaze. Ipshita stood there for a second before she said, - 'Shouldn't you be resting after that?' she sounded cautious. Anah paused, her pencil hovering over the paper. She moved her hand and closed her eyes. Anah took a deep breath and with her eyes closed she answered, 'I didn't have an abortion.'

She doesn't open her eyes when she heard Ipshita gasp. She opened her eyes only when Ipshita placed her palm on her shoulder, she turned her head and looked at her friend.

Ipshita had a sympathetic look. Her eyes asking her, Why?

Anah moved towards her table, she tossed her pencil letting it fall on the table. She then looked at her friend. Unshed tears glistened in her eyes.

After Anah narrated everything from her going to the clinic and the toddler's poster and the little boy and ended with the reason for her decision; Ipshita had tears in her eyes as well. She hurried towards her friend and engulfed her in a tight hug.

'It's okay, Anah. Everything will be alright.' Ipshita consoled her friend, she caressed her arms gently. But Anah doesn't cry, she felt blank.

*************************************************************

What is your opinion on the Chapter? What Anah did is right? Drop in your thoughts :)

Thanks so much for reading; before you go please don't forget to vote and comment

#124 in romance Yahooo *_*