58~ Bad News

Around 5pm, the cab stopped in front of the building and the girls stepped out. As Anah and Ipshita walked to the gate, Ipshita had her arm protectively around her friend while Anah kept staring at the ground as they walked.

'Excuse me, Maam.' They stopped when they heard someone call from behind. They turned around and found a watchman in his mid-forties approach them. He was dark and stubby with a heavy moustache. The girls have seen him many times at the gate but never were interrupted.

He asked if he can speak to Anah for a minute. Ipshita refused to leave her friend's side but Anah asked her to go.

Ipshita sighed and walked little away. But she made sure she stood at ear shot.

'Maam, if you don't mind please tell me the cost and time I should come to your apartment.' He said with a smile; a very creepy smile.

'Huh! We haven't called you for anything.'

'But I want something.' He smiled. His gaze made Anah uncomfortable. The way he eyed her Anah felt like she should disappear.

'Maam, the word around says that you sleep with any man who pays well. I am not that rich but I could....'

'How dare you, Rascal?' Before Anah could react Ipshita had come and slapped the watchman hard. As Ipshita scolded him and threatened to fire him, Anah had tears in her eyes. She turned around and hugging the papers close to her chest she walked away.

'How dare I? Bloody w***es telling me.' The watchman retorted. Ipshita was about to hit him with a stone when two on lookers came and held her.

Anah locked herself in the bathroom and leaning against the door she began crying. The Watchman's face swam in front of her eyes, his lustful gaze made her cringe and his harsh words echoed in ears deafening her, 'Maam, the word around says that you sleep with any man who pays well. I am not that rich but I could'

*************************************************************

Things took worse turns over the next few days. The girls especially Anah were being harassed a lot. Random drunk men came ringing their door-bell in the nights after 12. Many times, Reyhan got into fights with them. As they go out and in the building, few men tease them. Ipshita many times had used pepper spray into their eyes. Anah, on the other hand, had become very timid and would start crying. Ipshita would yell at her and ask her to be strong but Reyhan always managed to calm her down and explain to Ipshita, - 'Must be her pregnancy hormones. She is a strong woman, otherwise.'

When the girls complained to the building secretary, who happened to be Mrs. Mukherjee's husband, they were s**t shamed and called names.

Frustrated, Ipshita and Reyhan began looking for other accommodations.

One morning as the girls got ready for work, their doorbell rang. Anah suggested she will get the door as Ipshita had said she will break the jaw of the person on the other side. Anah opened the door and is greeted by a balding middle-aged man. He wore glasses and had grey hair on the sides of his head, the middle exposed his shining scalp. He is dressed in an old looking white and blue striped shirt and brown trousers. He is Mr. Shukla, their landlord. Anah smiled at him but he maintained his grim face. She stepped aside letting him in. He shook his head and entered. Ipshita also came into the living room wearing her white coat over her peach tube top. Anah asked if he needed water but he refused.

'I have bad news, Anah.' he began grimly. Anah nodded her head, what would be worse than what is already happening – she thought.

************************************************************************

Ipshita, Anah and Reyhan's friendship is so commendable, isn't it? The way they are standing with Anah. 

And Uh-Oh what is the bad news Mr. Shukla has to say *scared face emoji* *biting nails emoji*

What are your thoughts? Write them down in the comments :*

Thanks so much for reading and guys if you are enjoying the story please lend me your support and love through your votes and comments *puppy dog eyes* please don't run away just like that *