67~ Marry My BestFriend?

Friday, Anah felt nervous stepping out of the Delhi airport. She dragged her suitcase with her. It has been like ages she has come to her hometown. Anah had been done with her Goa project and decided to take a break before taking up a new project. She hadn't expected it but she is thankful to the Devil boss for giving her one-week holiday. Now, she is in her hometown but she doesn't know how she will face her parents. Her mother is furious on her and refuses to even talk to her while her father is supportive. He had also supported her decision for no abortion. This infuriated her mother more and now she is not in talking terms with her husband as well. Anah had expected her father's support, since he is the one she is the closest to and since childhood he is the one who understood her better than her mother. Even though he supports her but Anah knows he is disappointed, very disappointed, because she had been careless and gotten herself pregnant.

Anah removed her sunglasses and placing it on top of her head she looked around for her father. Minutes later, she spotted him. He waved at her with a halfhearted smile, a smile that didn't reach his eyes. It felt more of a formality as he hugged his daughter. Anah had tears in her eyes and she clung to her father a while longer before breaking the hug from her side. Mr. Malik held her face and wiped her tears before hugging her again.

There is silence in the car as her father drove towards their apartment. Anah leaned against the window of the passenger seat and stared outside. So many thoughts clogged her mind. She is anxious for her mother's reaction.

They reached home, Anah insisted she carry her own luggage but her father strictly asked to not to. Eventually, Anah gave up and she silently followed her father inside.

'Anah! What a pleasant surprise.' Mrs. Khanna their neighbor greeted them. She had just come out of her apartment to give garbage to the garbage man.

'Nice to meet you too, Aunty.' Anah smiled back. She is surprised when the stubby middle-aged woman hugged her. Anah hugged her back. Judging by the warm welcome Anah knew Mrs. Khanna new nothing about her pregnancy, but is only matter of time and then she will know. They parted when Mrs. Malik came. Before Anah or Mrs. Khanna would respond, she held her hand and dragged Anah in. Mrs. Khanna didn't understand what was such a hurry that Mrs. Malik didn't even speak with her. Then she shrugged and got inside her flat.

Anah now faces her mother in her room, she glared at Anah briefly before hurriedly locking the door.

'Ma-' Anah couldn't complete her sentence, her mother had slapped her. Anah is stunned. Not even as a child had she ever gotten beaten by her mother and today for the first time she slapped her. Anah had instant tears but she doesn't respond and simply stand there holding her cheek as her mother ranted about how she has shamed them and how depressed she and Mr. Malik are.

'We can't even look at anyone in the eye. Thankfully no one knows yet about your- But the shame engulfed us so much that we couldn't even sleep at night. You destroyed our sleep.' She screamed angrily.

'Had you said the same if I was married?' Anah managed to say in a small voice. Her mother glared at her but she mustered her courage and dared to look straight into her mother's blazing eyes.

'But you are not,' - her mother said after she had composed her answer, - 'How are you going to raise this kid? As a single unwed mother? Anah, it sounds cool in fiction but not in the real world and this is India not abroad that the society will be cool with it,' - her voice softened as she leaned forward and held her daughter's arms, - 'People will eat you alive, Anah. They won't even spare the child. They will call you and it names. Your kid will be called a b*****d, do you want that?' She asked, tears spilling from her own eyes. Anah shook her head, she bit her quivering lower-lip to stop herself from breaking down. But when her mother hugged her, Anah couldn't control and she broke down.

The mother and daughter cried for some time before Mrs. Malik left to prepare lunch and Anah decided to take bath and freshen up.

The three then had dinner silently and went off to their rooms for a nap. Anah didn't like this, in her own house she felt like a stranger. Whenever the three are under one roof, they talk a lot, their laughter ring all over the place but not this time. As Anah lay on her bed cuddled inside her blanket she couldn't stop her tears.

**********************************************************

By evening Anah came out of her room and heard some voices coming from the living room. A lady's voice came floating from inside and Anah smiled instantly recognizing her voice.

Anah quickly fixed her attire and hurried to the living room.

'Hello, Aunty and Uncle.' Anah greeted Reyhan's parents happily. They looked up. From everyone's deadpan expressions Anah guessed they were discussing something serious.

Mrs. Siddiqui, Reyhan's mother, smiled and got up. Anah hugged her and they spoke little before she held her hand and took Anah towards the sofa. Mrs. Malik shifted little making a face as Anah sat beside her.

'How are you, beta?' Mrs. Siddiqui asked warmly. Anah nodded looking down. The men excused themselves and left the house in the pretense of evening jog.

'We heard about your... Anah, listen to me.... you haven't done anything wrong don't blame yourself-' Mrs. Siddiqui said

'What do you mean nothing wrong, Saman? She has brought shame to us.' Mrs. Malik spat standing up.

'Relax, Zeba, relax.' Mrs. Siddiqui said calmly. Anah doesn't respond, she kept staring at her fingers resting on her thigh. Mrs. Siddiqui is much like Reyhan calm, patient and understanding type.

Anah is shocked when Mrs. Siddiqui suggested she marry Reyhan. Anah shook her head standing up.

'I can't Aunty. I can't burden Reyhan.' Anah refused. Mrs. Malik got angry, she held her elbow and turned her. Anah welcomed another slap. Mrs. Siddiqui gasped and stood up wrapping an arm protectively around Anah's shoulder.

'Zeba, One doesn't slap full grown children.' Saman said caressing Anah's arm.

'Full grown children? This child of mine is carrying a child herself that too before marriage. What should I do, not slap her?' – Zeba then looked towards her daughter, - 'This is the only way for you to come out of this, Anah. There is no other way now. What will people say? You have shamed us.' Anah's mother, Zeba scolded. Anah is stunned with her mother's suggestion. She refused instantly.

'No Ma, I can't marry Reyhan. He is my best friend...' she reasoned

'So? You must marry him. It is the only way to rectify the mistake you did.' Zeba roared. She then began cursing Anah and Mrs. Siddiqui had to step in. She requested Zeba to leave and that she will speak with Anah alone.

Once she had stormed out, Mrs. Siddiqui made Anah sit on the double sofa and she sat beside her.

'Anah.' She said softly. As she placed her palm on Anah's shoulder, slowly Anah looked up into her eyes.

**************************************************************

So, guys? How was the Chapter? 

Precap:

Drop in your thoughts, guys :*

Thanks so much for reading and please don't forget to vote and comment *_*