60~ Shame and Disappointment

After Anah had calmed down she and Ipshita made their way back to their cabin and on the way, they nearly dashed into Pinky and Mr. Ali. Pinky looked haughtily at Anah while Mr. Ali who always had smile on his lips and warmth in his eyes now held disgust and anger for Anah. Anah muttered a sorry and greeted them. Neither replied. Pinky walked away while Mr. Ali stayed. Anah forced a smile and is about to leave when Mr. Ali held her elbow surprising her. She looked at him and gulped.

'Anah, you had been one of our best employees. I had always been very proud of you but you, you have disappointed me.' He hissed and Anah lowered her head. He left her hand and straightened shoving his hands into his pocket.

'I didn't know you were a such a girl who traps rich men. I knew you were trouble and that's why I was warning him. But he was (sigh) I had never seen Ejaz like that before. Completely under your spell. Because of you, my son slipped into depression. Now, after a lot of coaxing he has finally agreed to the marriage. So, stay away.' He warned her menacingly. Not wanting to argue, Anah simply nodded her head; her gaze lowered. Mr. Ali was about to go when he took a step back and glared at her, - 'You should be thankful I haven't fired you. But that doesn't mean I can't.' he said and then walked away. Anah is slightly relieved that Mr. Ali doesn't know about her child else he might have done something drastic.

She turned to go and saw Ejaz standing near one of the cubicles. There are many people around them but they had eyes only for each other.

Anah looked at him, he too stared into her eyes briefly before his gaze traveled down and paused on her belly. Feeling his gaze, Anah shifted little looking away. She placed her palm on her belly protectively and looked back into his eyes. Ejaz composed himself and looked around. When he had looked into her eyes he had felt love again but the moment his gaze fell on her belly he is reminded of her betrayal.

Anah walked passed him ignoring any kind of feeling that she felt for him. Without any backward glance, she walked straight into her cabin. Ejaz didn't turn around too, he sighed and walked ahead.

*********************************************************

Later that night, Ipshita ran behind Anah carrying a glass of milk. She kept insisting Anah have it while Anah ran around the whole place refusing to drink.

'Stop behaving like a kid, Anah. For God's sakes you are 29 not 2.' Ipshita said angrily. She stopped gasping for breath but Anah shook her head. She stopped by the dining table and shook her head, 'No. I don't like the smell.' She pouted.

Ipshita sighed, - 'Had Reyhan not threatened me I wouldn't be doing this.' She said exasperatedly. Anah giggled. She then looked at her friend's flushed face with pity. Ipshita is immensely happy when Anah agreed to have milk. Ipshita mixed some Horlicks, chocolate flavor, for some taste. Anah pinched her nose tightly and gulped the content in one go.

'Good girl.' Ipshita patted her shoulder as Anah coughed. She made a face. Just then Ipshita's phone rang. Anah noticed Ipshita's smile fade. Anah got curious and leaned forward peeping into her phone.

Mohini calling

Ipshita was about to cut the call but Anah urged her to take the call. Only for Anah did Ipshita pick up the call.

Mohini: Are you coming for the engagement this weekend.

Ipshita was about to refuse when Anah spoke, - 'Yes.'

There is silence after Anah spoke. Mohini muttered something awkwardly and cut the call. Ipshita glared at Anah. She looked back at her confidently and said, - 'We will go. I want to see how low Ejaz can fall. I want to see how he gets engaged with Pinky in my presence. I want to see if he truly loves me.' She sounded firm. Though Ipshita didn't agree with her, she doesn't argue.

**********************************************************

After dinner, Anah and Ipshita retired to their bed when Anah's phone buzzed. She frowned wondering who it is this so late in the night. Her frown changed into nervousness as her home number flashed on the screen. She gestured Ipshita to keep silent and sat on the bed taking the call.

Anah: Hello Dad, Mom(nervously)

'What the heck we are hearing, Anah.' Her mother's voice thundered from the other side. With the intensity of the voice, Anah felt her brain ring. Anah quickly composed herself and answered fearfully. 'What Mom?'

Mrs. Malik: Don't pretend like you don't know anything. Is it true that you are.... Pregnant?

Her voice dropped towards the end. Anah gulped the tight lump that formed in her throat. She remained silent and continued to hear her mother's breathing turn fast.

Mrs. Malik: That means it's true!

Anah closed her eyes as tears fell down her ears. She was fearing this – her parent's reaction. Anah leaned forward holding her leg and rocked in her seat as her mother cried on the other side. Ipshita quickly climbed on the bed and shifted closer to her friend. She placed her arm protectively around her friend's shoulder and pulled her closer.

Mrs. Malik: What have you done, Anah? Why did you do this to us? You have ashamed us.... If your landlord hadn't told us we would have never found out...Gosh, Anah. Why?

Anah cried as her mother scolded her from the other side, and then the call got cut.

Anah leaned against Ipshita and cried cursing herself for shaming her parents, for disappointing them. Ipshita hugged her tightly and tried consoling her.

After some time Anah cried herself to sleep, Ipshita made her lay gently on the bed and covered her with the cream-colored duvet. Adjusting it little under her chin, she leaned forward and caressed Anah's forehead gently. Ten minutes later, Ipshita yawned for the fifth time and decided to get some sleep as well. She patted Anah's forehead little and shifted to her side. She pulled the duvet over her head and soon drifted off to sleep as well.

***********************************************************

Anah *heartbreak emoji* 

Mr. Ali and the landlord *punch emoji*

How was the chapter, guys? Drop in your thoughts :*

Thanks so much for reading, please don't forget to vote and comment *_*