Chapter 1

Ember dangled her feet off of the bunk bed, staring at the locked door. Octavia, her best friend of several years, sat underneath her on the bottom bunk. Octavia didn't speak, scared of breaking the silence. The two had know each other since Octavia was eight, and she had been with Bellamy, discovering the girl. Of course, Ember didn't tell anyone, because she understood the situation better than anyone, she had a twin sister herself.

Ember knew that her twin sister would be dead by now, or miraculously, alive in the skybox a day after eighteen, like herself. She was staring at the door, expecting a member of the guard to come through any moment and take her to her death, at least then she'd be joining one of her closest friends Logan and her family members. She was aching for it to happen already, she didn't want to spend her whole life in the skybox. "Octavia," Ember said, as the door opened and two guards walked in, Ember looked down at the bottom, where her best friend was.

Octavia looked up at her, and Ember noticed the undeniable fear in her eyes, Octavia didn't want to be alone, a fear Ember knew well. Ember hopped down, hugging Octavia to her side, rubbing her back comfortingly. "We knew it was going to happen." She whispered. Octavia clung to her, believing this would be the last time she would ever see Ember, and she had to be strong for that reason.

"I'll tell Bell the truth." Octavia replied, and Ember pursed her lips, nodding at the girl, before she covered her face of any emotion and turned to the guards with a glare.

The guards waited for this interaction to end, before calmly stating, "Prisoners 2-1-8 and 3-1-4 Please face the wall." Octavia and Ember looked at each other, before doing what they instructed. "Hold out your right wrists." He said, and Octavia kept her face blank, while Ember turned to them with a burning glare.

"She's seventeen. She still has a year." Ember explained, watching as they still looked at them expectantly. "You can't float her, she's underage!" She stated harshly, those were the rules on the Ark, those had always been the rules. They couldn't just change the rules, and Ember was going to raise hell until she was positive that they would let Octavia live for the next year.

"Wrists, now." The guard stated, getting impatient. The other guard forcibly grabbed Ember's wrist, connecting a metal wristband quickly, making her flinch as she felt needles penetrate her skin.

During her flinch, they had connected one to Octavia as well. Ember glared, being shoved forwards, Octavia as well. "Walk." One of them commanded, and Ember raised an eyebrow, but was pushed forward by Octavia, who shook her head lightly, warning her against doing anything stupid.

"Are you killing us?" Octavia asked, but wasn't answered, and Ember's body tensed up as they stepped out the door. Octavia looked at what was taking so long, seeing every prisoner being taken out of their cells, some coming willingly, some being forced. Ember recognized almost everyone, with the exceptions of the teenagers that had been locked up in solitary.

"You are," Ember spat. "You're murdering all of us to save your own asses." One of them glared, and Ember knew it was the truth. The guards signalled for the two to keep walking, and the two did so, afraid of what would happen if they didn't. Octavia clutched onto Ember's hand in fear, and Ember would never admit it, but she was glad for the contact.

Ember gulped as they walked up to what seemed to be another ship, and Ember hid her emotions for Octavia, and everyone else's sake, but she was terrified. They sat down, gett strapped down, and they watched as several other prisoners got on. Each time the person wasn't her twin, she got even more disappointed, and she was beginning to lose faith.

Ember looked over at Octavia, giving her a hesitant smile. They were being sent to earth, it was obvious to Ember now. But, she knew they would just die from radiation as soon as they got down there, which didn't sound very appealing to her. She would die not knowing if her sister suffered the same fate, or knowing if Bellamy hated her for what she caused.