Chapter 99

Ember kneeled down beside Clarke, the pain in her neck still there from Russell putting a drive in. The pain wasn't unfamiliar to Ember, in fact, she welcomed it like an old friend. It was similar to the flame, only it didn't bring the pressure of past commanders with it.

Clarke, however, wasn't doing too well. Ember did her best to comfort her, holding her hand under the table outside of Russell's view as he stitched up the back of her neck.

"After the execution, we found more graffiti. Who knows what poison those escaped prisoners are spreading. One of them already killed Simone. If this continues, they are going to come for us. Right now, their rebellion is at a tipping point. We must crush it tonight. Get everything back to normal."

Ember realized that Clarke was staring at the jar of bone marrow, and briefly squeezed her hand. "When our people see all of us returned at once, they will fall to their knees."

"We should've killed you first."

Clarke's face twisted up with pain and Ember winced. She was glad Madi was putting up a fight but she didn't like the rage into her voice. Neither of them wanted this for her, they wanted the kids to live a peaceful life where they never had to fight for their lives. They didn't want Madi to be like them, murderers.

Clarke tightened her grip on Ember's hand, and she returned the action quickly. "Once we're free, you will burn."

"Well, that's a little dramatic," Clarke said, her voice coming out steady.

Ember glanced over at Madi, watching her eyes harden and her struggle against the restraints again. "You will all burn! You will not get rid of us! We are eternal!"

Ember closed her eyes, as Russell called out. "Guards! Bring the doctors!"

Clarke lifted her head up, but Russell pushed her back down. "Stay still."

"Should I sedate her, dad? She might hurt herself."

Russell shook his head down at Ember. "We'll wait for the doctors."

Ember's hand tightened, even more, when the doors opened, and she watched three people enter. Raven, Jackson, and Abby all walked in. Ember was pissed, she told Raven to take care of her kids if something happened, and this was her taking care of them. But she forced herself to relax, she didn't know what else Raven could have done.

"She'll tear out the IV's," Jackson said. "We have to sedate her again."

Ember watched Abby stop in the doorway, eyes watering at the sight of Clarke. Ember glanced up at Clarke, letting her squeeze her hand to the point of it hurting to keep her composure. "I know what you're doing, Reyes," Madi snapped as she came over and tried to hold her down. "You think you're smart enough to get rid of me? If you don't stop, I will kill this child."

Shit. She didn't know a lot about what happened when she was in the mindspace, but she had a really good idea of what that meant. She wouldn't be surprised if Madi was under Sheidheda's control, he would offer her ways to get the revenge she wanted.

Ember knew she'd have to work with Raven later to take the flame out of Madi and fix it. If anyone could get Sheidheda out of the flame, it would be her.

They gave Madi another sedative, and Ember watched as she relaxed. "That's better," Russell said. "Thank you."

A tear slipped out of Clarke's eye, and she let go over Ember's hand to wipe it away. "There," Russell said, and Ember realized he finished stitching up her neck. "How do you feel?"

Clarke stood up, and helped Ember stand up too. "Peachy keen Josephine." Abby started to cry, and Ember glanced at Raven to realize that her friend was doing the same. She wished she could let Raven know they were alive, but she couldn't. Not yet.