Chapter 35

After another two weeks of being back at the Ark, Ember was finally starting to feel like she was back home. She had been helping wherever she could, and had told Abby two days after being back that she didn't want to be in charge anymore, and had been helping Lincoln and Raven whenever she could.

She had been avoiding Bellamy since she had been back, only seeing him a few times since and usually exiting the room right after. Her people still viewed her as a leader, but she had told all of them the same as Abby, that after Mount Wheater she didn't think she could still be in charge.

Today, Ember and Holden helped Lincoln train people in hand to hand combat. Mostly Ember and Holden trained together, while Lincoln trained whoever came in needed it. Ember was one of the best in the room, but she didn't like explaining to other people how to do something unless she was close to them.

A few of the surviving 100 members had come in for training, and Ember had helped them, but mostly she practiced with Holden. Lincoln wouldn't say anything to them, but he was getting annoyed with their constant flirting while practicing.

He couldn't blame them though, he knew the exact thing that Octavia would tell him; if she's happy, don't intervene. Even if it was bothering him, she was happier than he had seen her in months. So he left them continue and tried to ignore it as he helped whoever came into the room to train. He didn't need Octavia to get mad at him about anything else.

They had stopped for lunch for a break, and Lincoln had left the pair quickly, meeting Octavia. The peace didn't last long as Octavia started to walk over to the pair to eat with them. "Do we have to?" Lincoln asked Octavia quietly, who turned and faced him abruptly. The two had been fighting about a lot of things lately, and she didn't want Ember, Holden, or Emma to be the next thing they fought over.

"Do you not like him?" Octavia asked, glancing over her shoulder. She had come to like Holden in the two weeks since they had been back at the Ark, but she knew she could have a biased opinion.

Lincoln shook his head, assuring her that it wasn't that and trying to avoid another fight with her. "You try being around them for six hours flirting constantly, and have to spend more time with them."

Octavia chucked, dragging him over to them despite his protests. "Hey Ember." Octavia greeted, "Holden." She sat down across from the two, making Lincoln sit down beside her.

"Hello Octavia." Holden greeted. Ember leaned her head on his shoulder as he ate, not hungry herself. Since she had first ran away, she hadn't had much of an appetite. She ate what she needed, but everyone including her could tell she had lost an unhealthy amount of weight.

"How are you liking the Ark?" Octavia asked Holden, as Emma sat down at the table with them quickly. Ember glanced to the doors of the Ark, seeing several other people coming outside to eat. She averted her eyes back to the table when Bellamy came outside too.

Everyone at the table noticed but Holden, who remained happily oblivious. She returned her head to Holden's shoulder, glancing at Octavia who raised an eyebrow silently. "It is..." He hesitated for the word, but his English was much better than when Ember had first started teaching him. "Different. Back at the village, we all supported each other. Here, it is every man for himself."

Ember reached over and grabbed his hand, as Emma smiled over to Holden. "Don't worry, we have your back Holden." Emma said, earning a smile from him.

Holden finished the last bite of his meal, turning to Ember. "You ready to go back inside?" He asked. She nodded mutely, and he stood up, grabbing her hand. "Bye guys."

They headed into the Ark, and after a few minutes, Lincoln came back into the training room as holden left to go to the bathroom. Ember when to say something to him, but stopped quickly when she noticed who was coming inside behind him.