Chapter 50

After a short debate, they decided to get the chip out of Abby over Emma, since Abby was a doctor. They gave Emma a sedative, and Clarke used the EMP on her mom.

Clarke talked quietly to her mom after using it, and Bellamy and Ember were in the corner. Murphy was a few feet away. "Murphy, what you're about to see, you can't tell anyone."

"What are you going to do?"

"Swear to me, John."

Murphy nodded quickly. "Sure."

Ember grabbed the Flame from Bellamy. "I'm scared."

Bellamy reached for Ember's hand, as she noticed that Abby was awake. "I'll be here every step of the way,"

"Is the floor secure?" Clarke asked, standing up and eyeing everyone in the room.

Ember nodded. "For now. Jaha and the guards are tied up in a bedroom," Ember looked past Clarke at Abby. "Abby, can you check on my sister?"

Abby sniffled and wiped her wet eyes. "Of course."

"We took our the elevator and the ladder as we climbed," Pike said, coming into the room. Ember glared at him once she saw him, but didn't do anything else. "The stairs are collapsed. No one's following us."

"Good, we have time."

Murphy scoffed. "What we don't have is a way down." He paused as if realizing what she said. "Time for what?" Murphy asked Clarke.

Clarke eyed the Flame in Ember's hand. "An ascension ceremony."

"Ascension? But Ontari... Wait. Ember?"

Ember nodded quickly, moving over to Clarke and handing her the flame. "I'm going to take the Flame."

"And become Commander?"

She shook her head quickly. "No, nobody other than the people in this room will know I have it."

Octavia rushed into the room, not having heard what they were saying. "Whatever you're doing, you better do it fast."

"Why?" Bellamy asked. "What happened?"

"They're climbing."

Ember ran to the balcony, looking down. She was glad she wasn't afraid of heights, but she was afraid of the hundreds, thousands, of people that were running to the base of the tower with ladders. "Shit, okay. Clarke, let's do this now."

Clarke nodded, the Flame in her hand. Pike and Bellamy talked quietly to each other, and Pike ran out and back into the room quickly. He went onto the balcony and came back inside. "Balcony is greased."

"Good. There's enough lamp oil to cover every window on the floor except the Commander's chambers."

"Then that's where the fighting starts. We'll dig in there."

Pike and Byran walked out. "Octavia," Ember called before she could walk out. Octavia turned around, looking at Ember curiously. She didn't know what Ember was planning, so all Ember said was, "Be careful."

"You too."

Octavia rushed out of the room. "Murphy, are you or Clarke putting it in my head?" Ember asked, sitting down on the throne. Bellamy came to her side, grabbing her hand.

"I will," Murphy said. He trusted himself more than Clarke with it. He grabbed the Flame from Clarke. "Lean forward."

Ember leaned her head forward, taking a quick breath, and squeezing Bellamy's hand. "You ready?"