Chapter 23

Ember rode near the back of the group, getting off of her horse quickly when they stopped. Clarke lagged a bit behind her, but was the first to get to her mom, who was getting water. "Mom." Clarke said, getting her mom's attention. "Why are we stopping?"

Abby took a drink of water, holding up the canteen for her. "You need to drink too."

"I'm fine." Clarke replied. "We're almost home."

Ember turned to the Grounders that Lexa has assigned to accompany them. "Our scouts patrol these woods. Be careful where you shoot." She told them.

"Yes Ma'am."

"The Grounders listen to you." Abby said to Ember, who looked to Abby.

Ember glanced at Clarke. "Lexa told them to." Clarke said, she pursed her lips, as Ember looked around them. "Mount up." Clarke commanded.

"Clarke." Abby said.

Ember clenched her fists, eager to get back to camp. Clarke shot her a look, making sure she stayed calm. "Mom. I need to get back to that radio and see if Bellamy's made contact." She whispered, quiet enough that Ember couldn't hear as she went to mount onto her horse again. "If he hasn't- we have a whole new problem on our hands."

"Listen to me. I know you don't think you need my protection anymore. But you do. You have to trust that I know what's right for us." Clarke nodded slightly, and knew that she didn't have that big of a problem with it, but others would. "Okay, let's go home."

Clarke got onto her horse, turning back to look at Ember, who gave her a small nod. two gunshots rang throughout the air, as one hit a Grounder beside Ember, and the other one narrowly missed Ember. Ember jumped off of her frightened horse, pulling out her bow and moving over to Clarke.

"Mountain Men." Clarke said, as Ember hopped onto Clarke's horse, when her own ran off.

She heard, "finish it!" As they rode to were the shots came from.

"Octavia, no!" Ember yelled, jumping off of the horse and running over to her friend. Octavia looked at her in disbelief, keeping her sword at the Mountain Men's neck. "He's from Mount Weather. We need to keep him alive."

She turned to the Grounder that had followed her and Clarke. "Check to see if he's got a patch kit. We've got to get him back to camp."

Octavia went over to his bag, glaring at Clarke as she listened to Ember. She pulled out some papers, as Ember moved over to her friend. "What is that?"

Octavia scoffed, showing her the papers. She went over to Clarke, handing them to her. "You, Ember, and Lexa were the targets."

"We have to warn the Commander." Indra said. "Send our fastest riders to Tondc. Now."

~~~

"Jackson, we've got two patients." Abby said, entering the Ark. "You get the radiation burns, I've got the gunshot wound."

"This guy's from Mount Weather." Clarke told Jackson as the set him down in medical. "We'll need to keep him alive. There was a tear in his suit, but we fixed it in the field."

Raven and Emma entered the room, and Ember ran over to them quickly. "Anything from Bell?"

"No." Raven replied.

"Then why aren't you with the radio?" Clarke asked, looking up at Raven with an eyebrow raised. Emma pursed her lips, looking at the mountain man.

"Octavia just took my place. How about you back off?" Raven asked.