Chapter 54

"So Jaha says we need police here and here," Clarke said, pointing to a map for Riley to see. Ember let out a yawn at her side, a lack of sleep starting to get to her. There was a cheer from behind them and applause that made Clarke stop talking and glance in the direction. "One moment."

"Oh, I'm living it up, every last day!" Jasper yelled.

Ember glanced forward, seeing that Jaha and his mattress were floating in the middle of the lake. "Do I want to know how you did this without waking me up?" Jaha yelled back.

"Oh, probably not, but the effects are harmless, I promise, kind of."

Ember smiled, people were having fun. She was glad. Originally, she had worried that the news would make everything grim around camp, and for once she was happy that Jasper was drunk per usual. Clarke, however, wasn't. "Alright, We've had our fun," She said. "Let's get back to work."

Ember turned and followed Clarke as she went to go talk to Riley again, but he wasn't there. "What's with the "we're all gonna die" face?" Monty asked, coming up to Clarke and Ember. Clarke glanced at him, and he paused. "I mean-"

"I know what you mean," Clarke replied. "Bellamy should be back by now."

They turned away from the gate, but Ember continued to look, as if Bellamy would come through it at any moment. He'd been gone for days, and Ember hadn't slept for most of the time he was gone. "Hunting parties go radio-silent. It's nothing new," Monty said, looking at Ember until she turned away from the gate to continue walking with them. "What else?"

Clarke shrugged after a moment. "I just feel useless. I'm stuck here in case anyone needs a cut bandaged, supervising the backup plan when I should be going to the island to make nightblood."

Ember glanced down at her arms, as if she could see the blood running through her veins. She had meant to bring up an idea to Abby before she left, but now she was stuck with it in her head until she got a chance to tell her. After all, Ember knew how Becca made Nightblood. "Clarke, you're not a geneticist."

"Neither is my mom," She replied.

"Yeah, well, they have Raven. Genetic code, computer code. They'll figure it out."

Clarke stopped walking, and Ember bumped into her, not realizing they stopped. "Monty, I'm serious."

"So am I. If Jaha's right and Becca created NIghtblood there, they'll find her records, and all they have to do is reverse-engineer it from Luna. Everyone lives."

"If they can get it done before the radiation gets here."

Monty nodded, looking at the Ark. "I guess we better finish the ship." Riley walked back up to them and Monty gave him a smile. "Riley, how's it coming?"

"We're on schedule here. We should have the radiation patch up before dark."

Clarke nodded, as Ember stepped forward, bumping Clarke's shoulder with hers. "One less thing to worry about."

There was a crack of thunder, and all of them turned towards the noise. "Black rain," Ember muttered, almost like a question. She turned towards the crowd. "Everyone inside! Just like we practiced. Now!"

The alarm started blaring through camp, and everyone gathered up the paper plans as quickly as possible to bring inside.

Everyone got into the Ark within a minute, and Ember was the only one outside, about to close the door when she spotted Jasper. Her eyes went wide and she yelled, "Jasper! Come on!"

He was walking slowly, not worried about it in the slightest. Monty and Clarke stepped back outside as well. "Jasper, what are you doing?" Clarke yelled.