Chapter 49

After waking up on shore, dazed and confused, they headed back to the rover it was dead, but the battery was slowly charging because of the daylight. Ember jumped up onto the top of the rover, watching it slowly charge.

The Flame had been slipped into her pocket, and she knew she'd be putting it into herself soon.

Once she noticed it was getting close to fully charged, she let everyone know. "The rover's almost charged. We need to pack up. We'll be home soon."

"Then what?" Clarke asked. "Run away?"

"We're not running away, Clarke," Bellamy said. He knew Ember was going to say something about her taking the Flame, so he spoke before she could get a word out. "We need to regroup with the others and find another way to defeat-"

"There is no other way!" Clarke yelled. "We need either Ember to take the Flame or to find another Nightblood." Ember looked down at the solar panel, fiddling with her thumbs. "We need to unlock the Flame. It's the only way to stop Alie."

"What do you expect us to do, Clarke?" Jasper asked, sitting on the hood of the rover. "Walk into random villages asking for their Nightbloods?"

"If that's what it takes."

Octavia scoffed. "No, Clarke. If Alie can find us on Luna's rig, then she can find us anywhere. I won't help you destroy another innocent Grounder village."

"If we don't find a Nightblood, there won't be any Grounder villages or a home for us to go back to."

"That's all the more reason we go there and make sure our friends are okay." Clarke looked around, and when she realized everyone was against her, she stormed off.

"She'll be fine," Jasper said, noticing Bellamy watching her walk away. "Just let her cool off."

Everyone silently started doing their own thing, and after a moment Ember said, "Guys, I'm going to take the Flame," Everyone looked at her, none of them sure of what to say. "I don't want Clarke to go hunting Nightbloods, if they haven't been taken to Polis yet then they're probably kids, who deserve to be with their families."

Before any of them could tell her anything, Clarke came back into the area, with Roan at her side. Ember pulled out her sword, jumping off the rover. "What is he doing here?"

"Put down the sword, Sky Queen. We all want the same thing here."

"Doubtful," Ember said with a glare.

Clarke stepped between her and Roan. "He wants the same thing. He's going to help put the Flame into Ontari."

"The Nightblood who slaughtered all the Nightblood children? Why would we even consider putting it into her, she won't help us."

"You'll put it in her because she's the rightful Commander."

Ember straightened her posture. "She's not the only Nightblood left."

"Nobody, especially my people, will follow a Skaikru child."

"We both know that isn't true." She turned away from him and walked over to Bellamy. "Let's go back to Arkadia, Clarke, you drive. Bellamy, in the back with me."

She paused before she got into the rover. "How do we know he isn't chipped?"

"He saved me, he wouldn't do that if he was."

Bellamy and Ember exchanged a look. "We need to find out for sure." Bellamy lifted up his gun, shooting him in the arm.

~~~