Chapter 78

Kane was in the pit. Emma couldn't say she was surprised, she'd been the one to cause him to be put there. When she'd found out what he'd done, she'd gone straight to Octavia herself. She was one of the few people who found themselves able to talk to her still.

But, a lot had happened in the last six years. Emma wasn't the same person. The warpaint on her face was a good sign of that.

The crowd was loud, but Emma couldn't have been more silent. She knew she should've felt guilty. Kane was a good guy, and she'd known him for years. She hadn't even hesitated to turn him in. At first, she'd convinced herself it was because if she hadn't told and Octavia found out, she'd be down in that pit herself.

But she knew that wasn't the reason. She liked the power. Being Octavia's right hand gave her too much power, and she liked it. Maybe because it made her feel closer to her sister, but she also knew she just liked giving orders and knowing they'd be listened to.

Emma put her hands up, and the cheering of the crowd went silent. "Each of these 4 combatants have committed crimes against Wonkru. They are our enemies- traitors to our people. Traitors to our code of strength, unity, and honor."

She looked down, meeting Kane's eye. "But today, one of you will be given a chance to once again be called brother or sister. However, first, you must survive. The only rule in this arena is, be the last." A burst of cheering erupted, and Emma waited for them to be silent again. "As always, as we invite death into this hall, we honor it."

Emma bowed her head, and she was sure everyone else did too. "All of me for all of us." The crowd repeated it, and Emma grinned, lifting her head up. "Be the last."

The people down in the arena all ran to get a weapon except Kane. He continued to stand there, staring up at Emma and Octavia. When the other members of Wonkru grabbed weapons and started to go for him, he finally ran and grabbed a shield and ax from the wall.

He blocked the hits that came towards them but never trying to attack. It wasn't until he was against a wall that he tried to attack for the first time. Two people were already dead, but Emma was only focused on Kane.

She wasn't sure if she wanted him to win or lose.

A girl swung at him several times until she knocked the shield out of his hands. When she went to kill Kane, her head was bashed in by the other person in the pit. The other survivor went to hit Kane, but he ran out of the way before the attack hit him.

The other man hit Kane's back with his ax, creating a tear in his shirt and cut on his back. He screamed, and the man went to have an earlier celebration.

He turned his back on Kane, and while he did, Kane picked up a random weapon and bashed the man's head in. The cheering crowd went silent. A few boo's came out. "He's losing them," Indra said.

Kane's hands shook as he looked down at the man he killed. "Marcs Kane, in stealing life-giving medicine from Wonkru, you have committed a crime against our people, but you are the last." Emma turned her head towards Octavia. "Has he earned his freedom, Blodreina?"

Octavia stood up from her throne, and Emma stepped to the side. "No. He fights again tomorrow."

~~~

They'd put Clarke, Ember, and Tavia into a room together. "I-" Ember had been trying to talk for the last half hour. All Clarke had gotten out of her was "Bellamy" and she wanted more.

Tavia hadn't left Ember's arms, shaking with fear. "So Bellamy's here? Is that why they moved us here?"

Ember ran her hand through Tavia's hair, undoing the braid from earlier. She took a deep breath. "Yes. Madi drove him here in the rover. He's... He's making a deal."