Chapter 11

Ember sat down with Logan at her side, both on watch early in the morning. She had left Octavia's tent early to meet Logan for watch, who had snuck out of Emma's tent as well. "Thanks for not leaving." He said.

Ember sat with her arms wrapped around her legs. "You're the one that got me stuck in this "I protect my own" crap. Can't back down now." She teased.

Logan smirked. "Hey, they respect you. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me."

"They love you. Murphy didn't do any gambling sessions for like a whole month after you left." Ember informed him, bumping his shoulder with hers. "I don't remember if I've told you this, but I'm so glad you're alive."

"When I saw that dropship come down the day after yours and Ember's birthday, I was heartbroken. I thought you two had been floated, and that I'd never see you again. You or Emma."

"I'm glad she has you." Ember muttered. "We didn't follow through with our promise, like we've been acting like we have. Of course, you being back here alive has made us grow a lot closer than we were, but I don't think our relationship would be repaired if you weren't here. So thank you, for the opportunity to have my sister back."

"She still loves you." Logan said, not phased by her honesty. "She's just always been hurt. She thought that you had given you both up. And you never got a chance to explain because she avoided the hell out of you."

"At least she didn't know that I bet two days on her." Ember joked, resulting in the two both letting out a chuckled. "You know, I'm actually glad I got locked up, in some weird way. If I hadn't my life would be so much different."

"How so?"

"Well for one I'd still be living in Emma's shadow. I mean, a least down here people actually know I exist. Then, well Emma and I both met you. You changed our lives. You're the one that got me into fighting, wouldn't be a badass if it wasn't for you."

"People don't call themselves badasses Fire." Logan teased her, to which she just rolled her eyes.

"First watch is over." Bellamy said, coming up to the two. He turned to Logan. "Go relieve Monroe on the south wall. Keep your eyes open." Logan gave Bellamy a sarcastic salute, something he knew he must have gotten from Ember. He set himself beside Ember. "Anything?"

She shook her head in reply. "It's been two days. Maybe the bomb at the bridge scared them off for good."

He raised an eyebrow at her. "You really believe that?"

She sighed with a frown. "No." She turned face Bellamy. "Jasper thinks he can cook up some more gunpowder if he gets some sulfur, and Raven says she can turn that into landmines." She grinned over at him teasingly. "So be careful where you step."

Bellamy cracked a smile, losing his serious attitude. "What I really need is a thousand more of your tin can bombs that I can roll into their village and blow up those Grounders to hell. That's what they want to do to us."

Ember sighed, stretching so that her back popped. "Can't believe we survived a hundred years just so we could slaughter each other. There has to be another way. Any word from the Ark?"

Bellamy shook his head. "Radio silence. I guess they finally ran out of air."

Ember ran a hand through her hair. "Maybe the people on the Exodus ship were lucky. At least their deaths were quick." She smiled sadly. "No one is coming down to save us."

~*~

"Let's get this party smoking." Del said, putting another log onto the fire.

Octavia, Murphy, and Ember all exchanged concerned glances. "You don't want the fire too big. So maybe just try to knock it down with some wet leaves."