Chapter 9

Ember sighed angrily as she once again lost in a fight against Lincoln. "It's not an overnight thing you can learn." Lincoln said, attempting to calm her anger. "You're a lot better than other warriors I have trained at the beginning. Probably something to do with your nightblood."

"I still don't understand how I have nightblood. You say all commanders have it." She frowned for a moment. "And you never told me how you know what Logan looks like."

Lincoln nodded. "If you are born with nightblood you are sent to our capital to train at a young age for a chance to become the future commander." He handed her back his blade, ignoring her added comment. "Let's go again. Next time we meet I'll start teaching you and Octavia the language."

She gripped the sword with her left hand, watching Lincoln carefully. She waited for him to strike first, and then the fight had started.

~*~

Octavia shoved Ember playfully, both of them laughing. "How was training?" Octavia asked.

"Awesome. I never thought I'd love sword combat so much. At times I feel like I'm overworking my right arm, but then Lincoln and I just move onto the language." She glanced at Octavia, a smirk on her face. "What about you?"

Octavia's cheeks tinted pink. "Well, we don't do much learning like you guys." Ember laughed, as they joined the crowd, "I'm going to meet him right now. I'll see you later?"

"Have fun." Ember said, almost mockingly.

"My friends," Jaha said over the speakers. "This is a historic Unity Day. Every year, we mark the moment our ancestors of the twelve stations joined to form the Ark, but this is the last time we do so while aboard her. Next year, on the ground."

"Right." Miller said with a scoff. "After we did all the work. Someone shut him up."

"You shut up, Miller." Raven said, from beside Finn. Emma stood right beside them, her arms crossed as she watched the screen. "No one's forcing you to watch.

"For ninety-seven years, we have eked out an existence, hoping that someday our descendants would return to Earth." Jaha announced.

"Don't tell me you don't like Unity Day." Clarke asked, walking up to Finn and Raven. Ember came over as well, all over them smiling at her besides Emma.

Finn and Ember glanced at each other. "Unity Day is a lie." Ember explained. "The Ark only came together after the thirteenth station was blown out of the sky. Just not the version of history we like to tell each other at parties."

"The Unity Day story gives people hope. And peace came out of that violence."

"Whoo!" Jasper yelled, attracting all the attention. "Monty strikes again!" He held up a large container, making Ember smirk. "Call this batch Unity Juice! Who's thirsty?"

~*~

Ember walked into the cafeteria with Octavia, the two girls staying together as they joined all of the other teens in the skybox. "I'm right here O." Ember said, grabbing her best friend's hand as she noticed that Octavia was breathing heavily. "Come on, let's go get our meals."

They each got their small plate, sitting down at the table alone. Although they weren't alone for long, as John Murphy sat down on the table, right by Ember's plate. "Octavia and Ember." He said. "Our official celebrities. I'm Murphy."

Octavia stayed looking at her food, as Ember looked up at him and met his eye. "Murphy." She mused. "You seen a girl that looks exactly like me around?"

"If you mean Emma Jones, then no." Murphy said. "Everyone's placing bets though, on how long she'll be out there before getting caught. A majority of them give her a week, but if it makes you feel any better I'm guessing a month."