Chapter 30

It had been three weeks since the twins had met Holden. He had taken the twins back to his small village. They had learned soon after that he was only helping that group because they had offered him a third of what they caught. They had been a nearby village that had caused them lots of trouble, and he was glad to be rid of them.

Only twelve people lived in his village, fourteen with Ember and Emma. They had welcomed the twins into the village with opened arms, easily being the nicest people both of them had met in their lifetimes.

Holden and Ember had spent a lot of their time together, while Emma was blending in with the Grounders in the village, learning how to survive like they did. Ember spent a lot of her time teaching Emma Trigedasleng, and exploring around the woods with Holden.

It was peaceful for them, a change that they both enjoyed. Emma was having a hard time adjusting, after learning that only three Grounders in the village knew how to speak English, and only one of them fluently. But with how quickly Emma was learning the language, since everyone around her spoke it frequently, Ember knew that it wouldn't be that big of a problem for long.

The twins shared a tent on the edge of the village, Ember finally starting to get more sleep. Everyone in the village could tell she was unable to sleep, as Holden often got up in the middle of the night to walk around with her in the woods as a distraction.

Currently, it was early in the morning, and Ember and Holden walked away from the village together, both liking to get away for a hour or two.

Nobody else had gone with them when they went for their daily trips, and Ember often found herself wondering why. Holden didn't hold a title in the village, even though he was a trusted warrior.

The village was run by a sweet couple, Janice and Jaden. They held little control over the village, being in charge but not controlling anything they did. Ember had enjoyed the break from being the charge, and knew she would continue to until she couldn't anymore.

They had a nine year old daughter named Kadi, who followed Holden around whenever she got the chance. She had taken a liking to the twins instantly, more so Emma than Ember.

"Should we head back soon?" Ember asked Holden, knowing they usually didn't walk very far if they didn't have to.

Holden shook his head in reply, looking over to Ember and meeting her eyes. "We're not needed there today, we can spare more time."

They continued to walk close to each other, both relaxed and carefree. Ember knew she couldn't stay with them forever, but was happy with what she could take. "Emma seems to be learning well." He said, breaking the silence.

"So are you." She told him, reminding him that she was slowly teaching him English, in case her people ever found their small peaceful village. She worried that her people would slaughter them, and hating the idea of possibly putting the people in risk, but she only voiced her concerns with Emma.

He cracked a smile, moving silently beside her. "Only because I have such a good teacher." Her cheeks turned pink, feeling the heat rising up her face.

She shook the compliment off, head pounding as the blood pumped through her body. "Liar." She replied, raising an eyebrow.

He smiled, not saying anything else.

After walking for a while, they both stopped suddenly when they heard a branch snap to their left. They both pulled out their swords, exchanging a look.

The person who walked out beside the trees was not who Ember was expecting. She kept her sword up angrily, as Holden lowered his instantly. "Commander?" He asked.