Chapter 13

Loneliness wasn't something Ember Jones was used to. Even on the Ark, she had never felt truly alone. But after being alone for the past two days, she knew the feeling all too well. After all, the people she had seen since watching the drop ship light hundreds of Grounders on fire, she had ended up killing.

Nine. It wasn't a significant number to her two days ago, now, it represented the amount of deaths she had personally caused. Her count started with Michael and ended with a nameless Grounder she had killed not even half an hour ago. She wasn't upset that she had killed Michael, but other Grounders she felt guilty about.

Ember would consider herself a lot of things, but murderer wasn't one of them, until she hit her third kill, she started to question her real motives. Each kill hurt her a little less, and she worried that sooner or later, death wouldn't affect her.

Ember decided she would worry about that when she found out what had happened to all of her friends. Her only problem; she was lost. She hadn't realized how bad she was at directions, until she tried to return to the drop ship and found herself with no idea of where she was.

She thought back to her mental checklist made yesterday that she had referenced back to several times since. The first and main priority on her list: find Octavia. Her best friend of nine years, who she hadn't seen since the battle where Octavia had ended up with an arrow in her thigh.

Her second objective; Bellamy. Octavia's older brother, and the man she cared deeply for. Wherever he had ended up after the battle- she knew deep down he was okay. He was too stubborn to die to something as simple as a Grounder.

The woods that were usually quiet, suddenly became loud, as she put her hand to the handle of her sword in preparation. She climbed into a tree, moving her hand to the grip of her bow, something she had gotten off of one of the previous Grounders she had run into.

She prefered to use a sword, knowing that she had a slight change with a sword due to her friend Lincoln teaching her. But after she learned that a bow shot nothing like a gun did, and her aim missed more often than it hit. But in cases like this one, where the Grounder rode a horse, she knew it was better than trying to fight him with the sword.

She knocked an arrow back, breathing calmly. She debated shooting, knowing that if he didn't see her she would be safe. That was what made her different from the Grounders, in her mind. They killed for fun, she killed for a reason. Keeping the arrow trained on him, she waiting for him to be out of sight to put the arrow back in the quiver.

Climbing down, she continued on her way, a slight limp in her right leg. She looked down at her leg, blood leaking through her pants. The previous injury wasn't as satisfied by her revenge as she was, and was only getting worse the more she walked on it.

She fiddled with a knife as she walked, tossing it into the air and catching it carelessly with her left hand. It was her first weapon from the ground, her old friend Murphy having made it for her out of a piece of metal from the drop ship that they had come down to earth in.

Now, she swore she'd give Murphy what he deserved when she was him next, having not seen him since he hung Bellamy while she was being tortured by the Grounders.

Her only problem, was not knowing where to go. The drop ship had been her original goal, but soon realized it was pointless trying to find any kind of previous location.

A branch falling on her from a tree above her had Ember dropping her knife in shock, and quickly grabbing her bow, and aiming an arrow above her blindly. "I wouldn't waste an arrow on me. I've seen you try to use that, it's kind of pathetic, actually."