Chapter 79

Ember and Tavia helped Clarke with the injured from last night as soon as they woke up. Different than usual, Tavia had woken up before Clarke and Ember than morning. Ember figured it had to do with sleeping on the ground. The only two places Tavia was used to sleeping were the bed or in the rover.

"We could've used you guys in the bunker," Jackson said, glancing over and seeing Clarke showing Tavia how to properly wrap a wound.

"You had my mother," Clarke replied. She looked over at Jackson, noticing that he looked towards the ground and away from her. "Why was she afraid?"

Jackson took a few steps away from them. "Jackson, hey." Ember moved over, standing beside Clarke, as Tavia shifted from one foot to the other waiting for Clarke to finish teaching her. "Help us understand what happened there."

"Jackson."

He looked up at his name, glancing over at Miller with a smile. He walked over to him, leaving Clarke and Ember behind. He hugged Miller quickly. "Be safe, ok?"

They kissed quickly, and the Miller kept walking. "Miller," Clarke said as he passed them, but he ignored them. Clarke scoffed, walking after him.

Ember sighed, moving over and grabbing Tavia's hand. "Come on, Clarke will finish teaching you later."

Tavia frowned, but allowed her mom to drag her off after Clarke. "Miller, wait!" Clarke stormed after him, and Ember tried to keep up as best as she could with Tavia beside her.

Bellamy stepped in front of Miller and the man beside him. "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down. Where are you going?"

"Wish I could tell you, Bellamy."

Bellamy raised an eyebrow as Clarke moved to his side, Ember and Tavia not that far behind. "Octavia told you not to?"

Ember glanced at Clarke. "They're going to Shallow Valley."

Miller glared at Ember as Clarke stormed off, looking for Octavia. "Clarke, Clarke!" Miller grabbed Clarke's arm. "You can't just do whatever the hell you want here."

"I'm guessing you're moving ahead of the army, to scout forward terrain. Which route are you taking?" Miller didn't reply, and Clarke took a step closer to him. "It's sandstorm season. The wind moves in a predictable path. We've made the trip dozens of times. You need our help."

~~~

"They don't know we're coming, so all three northern passes will be wide open," Octavia said, pointing down at a map someone had drawn for her. "But the village will be fortified. Where's the water source?"

One of them pointed down at the map, Emma glanced at it, an unmarked spot. "Why? What are you thinking?" Emma asked.

"My question exactly," Clarke said, coming into the room with Miller, Ember, and everyone else.

Cooper turned and glanced at Miller. "Your orders were to go-"

"I know my orders." He looked at Octavia. "I think we should listen to what Clarke and Ember has to say."

Octavia turned around, raising an eyebrow. "You can't take the sea route," Clarke said automatically.

"Why?" Indra asked. "You said the sea is gone. Is it passable or not?"

"Yes," Ember said, then sheepishly changed her mind. "Maybe. But you have to understand-"

"Maybe's good enough for me," Octavia replied, moving past them. "Let's move out."

Bellamy stepped in front of her, and all the grounders got on edge, pulling out their weapons. Emam did so too, sword clutched tightly in hand. "Stand down," Octavia said, without looking away from Bellamy.