Chapter 46

"Becca's journal is amazing," Raven said, glancing at everyone around her. Monty was driving, and Bellamy sat next to Ember in the back, her head on his shoulder as she was almost asleep. "At 26, she found a pathway to access a human mind. "That same year, she had to lock up Alie, because her answer for what was wrong with the world was 'too many people.' She was 27 when it launched the bombs."

Clarke turned around from the passenger's seat. "What did she write about the Flame?"

"Alie 2.0. She saw it as a way to atone for her sins. She designed it to not just access a human mind, but to merge with one. It could never wipe us out, because it would be one of us. She would put it in herself first. Altered her genes so her body wouldn't reject the implant."

"Bekka Pramheda, the first Commander," Clarke said, pausing for a moment. "The gene therapy made her blood black, didn't it?"

"Yeah," Raven said.

"How did you know that?" Octavia asked.

"Nightblood. That's where is came from. Somehow it became hereditary. Luna has it. That's why we have to find her, because Ember doesn't want to be Commander. If she can access Alie-2-"

"She can tell us how to stop Alie-1," Octavia said, glancing over at Ember. Once she realized Ember was asleep, she asked, "Why don't we just put it in Ember, then once she has the answer she can take it out like we took it out with Raven?"

"To do that, we'd have to find another wristband. Plus, then we'd have to destroy the only chip of Alie-2. The grounders worship this chip. Not including that it may work like Alie-1. If we mention taking it out, how will she react? It could totally change her personality."

"Bekka Pramheda gets her second shot at atonement."

"Get back to the mind pathway," Monty said. "If Alie uses it to upload our minds to the City of Light, then there's a chance my mom's still alive."

"That depends on your definition of 'alive.'"

"Eyes sharp," Monty said from the front, clearing his throat. "Weapons hot. We're almost home."

Bellamy nudged Ember, and her eyes fluttered open, glancing up at him. "We're almost there," He told her softly, watching her yawn softly.

"Miller, come in," Monty said into the radio. The radio continued to stay silent, so he tried again. "Harper, you there? Your ride's two minutes out."

After more silence, Jasper said, "Good start."

They got out of the Rover as they approached camp, Ember's throwing knives in her hands even though she didn't plan on using them. The others had their guns out, and as they got closer, they noticed that camp was just as bad as they left it. "We left two days ago," Clarke said in disbelief. "Why haven't they fixed the gate?"

"Maybe because there's no one here to fix it,"

"It's like a ghost town," Octavia muttered, as Monty drove the rover into camp, Jasper on top and the rest walking.

Ember lifted up the radio that they had handed her. "Miller, where the hell are you?" It continued to be silent, and she told the others, "I don't like this."

"Maybe they got chipped," Jasper suggested.

"If they got chipped, they'd have been waiting for us at the cave," Bellamy said.

"Maybe they saw the open gate and went in for Lincoln's book," Jasper said.

Octavia and Ember made eye contact as they moved ahead of everyone. "Maybe you should stop saying, 'maybe.'"