Chapter 56

Ember woke up to Bellamy already awake, just laying beside her. The Commanders in her dreams had been nervous, worried about how Ember was going to save everyone. The atmosphere hadn't changed when she woke up. Bellamy was just as worried about it as the Commanders were.

"Bellamy, we'll figure it out."

They had fallen asleep in the woods, after going off by themselves the night prior and talking until the late hours. The sun was barely coming up between the trees in front of them. She turned on her side, Bellamy wrapping his arm around her. He laid a kiss on her forehead, and she smiled a bit.

"What do we do if the Nightblood solution doesn't work?"

"We'll find another one," Ember replied quickly. She tilted her head up and kissed Bellamy's chin. "We're survivors."

He chuckled and squeezed his arm around her. "You're right. We've been through too much to die to radiation."

"If we didn't die exiting the dropship, we're not going to die now." Ember said. She let out a sigh, biting her lip. "I don't want to go back to Arkadia, it's too..." She didn't finish it, she didn't need to.

"But we have to," Bellamy said, sitting up slightly. "Everyone wants your advice on what to do, Jones."

Ember rolled her eyes. "Don't remind me, Blake."

Bellamy laughed, reaching for his clothes beside him. "If we stay here too long someone will come looking for us. We're going to the island today, remember?"

Raven had radioed and told them that in order to make Nightblood, they needed to go to space. Conveniently, Becca had a ship in her lab that could send them out there.

"They'll send Clarke to us, nobody else would dare come find us out here."

"And you're willing to let her come and see us naked?"

Ember grinned mischievously. "Maybe."

She moved onto Bellamy's lap, kissing his neck. "Five minutes?"

~~~

Bellamy and Ember entered what was left of Arkadia later than planned. They had a meeting that Clarke had radioed to remind them about, ruining their moment. Ember wore Bellamy's jacket as they ran through camp to make it to the meeting.

Clarke was waiting for them outside of the room, Roan, Kane, and Monty already inside. "Do I want to know what was so important that you guys were almost a half hour late for the meeting?"

Ember shot Clarke a wink. "Probably not. But don't be judging us, I'm sure you were doing the same thing with Niylah." She bumped her arm against Bellamy's as they squeezed through the door into the room.

Monty glanced between Ember and Bellamy. "Look, I'm happy that you two are back together and everything, but next time don't be late for the meeting," They moved over to the table, and Monty quickly tried to fill them in on what they missed. "Sectors 3,4, and 5 sustained the worst damage. We lost the server room, all of our processors, and life support systems, and half of our living quarters."

"Now, backup power will keep the lights on at night in the rooms that survived, but we'll have no heat or running water and no way to restore it or reseal the ship before the radiation gets here."

"Is there any good news?" Bellamy asked from beside Ember, his arm around her waist to distract her from all the issues.

"No one died," Kane said after a moment of silence.

"Forget the Ark," Clarke said. "It was never gonna save us all anyway. We need to focus our resources on the Nightblood solution. Is the fuel loaded?"