Chapter 8

"Did you talk to the Ark?" Miller asked, coming up the hatch, rolling his eyes as he saw Ember and Bellamy alone up there with the grounder. "I told Digg's mom the news, John's dad. I'm supposed to talk to Roma's parents later."

"Thanks for doing that. I owe you." Bellamy said.

Miller sighed, facing the grounder. "Telling all these parents that their kids were murdered by Grounders, I just wished I could say we were getting some justice."

"We're not killing him." Ember said instantly, glancing up from her hand to the grounder.

"You were a lot scarier when you had that face paint on." Miller said, smearing something on the Grounders face. The grounder headbutt him, knocking Miller to the ground.

"Nice." Ember said to the Grounder with a chuckled, sharing an amused expression with Bellamy.

~*~

"Be safe." Ember said to Bellamy, watching as he packed more food than he needed. "You're not running away without me, are you?"

Bellamy leaned down, kissing her gently. "Don't worry Jones, I could never leave you behind."

"Good Blake, 'cuz I wasn't planning on letting you." She sighed, picking up a bag of nuts and putting it into his bag. "Just in case. See you when you get back. I'll take care of the camp while you're gone."

~*~

"Hi, we don't have a lot of time." Octavia said, closing the hatch behind her. She glanced at Ember. "You're still on my side right?"

Ember smirked. "I said forever didn't I O?"

"I brought you some water here." Octavia held up the water, helping him drink some. "It's good, right. Sorry I haven't seen you since everything happened. Ember can get up here, but my brother has been keeping me away."

"To be fair I'm using the fact that my sister hates my guts."

"He's a total dick to everyone but Ember, which you probably already figured out."

The grounder chuckled. "I knew it. You do understand us." Octavia took off her jacket. "Well, at least let me get you cleaned up quick." She picked up a rag, wiping away the blood. "This is all my fault because I freaked out so bad when you locked me up in that cave."

"You'd totally understand why if you knew how she and I grew up." Ember pitched in, shuddering as she thought about the hole in the floor she had to crawl into all the time.

"My name is Lincoln." The Grounder said.

"Lincoln. I'm Octavia. That's Ember." After a few moments, Octavia raised an eyebrow. "Well, is that it? Is that all you're gonna say?"

"It's not safe for him to talk here." Ember said, understanding his position. They had stopped beating him up because Bellamy had finally realized that he didn't understand.

"Well, if we shouldn't talk, then why did you tell me your name?"

"I want you to remember me after I'm dead."

Ember raised an eyebrow, looking between Lincoln and Octavia. "You're not gonna die. Don't say that."

"Octavia, this only ends one way." Lincoln whispered.

"Just talk to them. Tell them you're not the enemy." Octavia tried.

"I am."

"Octavia," Miller said, opening the hatch. "Get the hell out, now. Bellamy is not even here. Get out, or he gets the beating I've been aching to give him."