Chapter 28

"What do you guys think the retreat was about?" Emma asked, after sitting in silence for an hour waiting for the door to open. Ember looked down at her, sitting in the metal tub that her and Octavia leaned on. "What? If we're going to just wait, I'd say we need to figure out what happened."

Octavia sat quietly near by, her hands moving to her throat every few seconds. "I think Lexa betrayed us." Ember said simply. "It's what kind of leader she is."

Ember messed with her sword, avoiding looking at the tip that still had some of Indra's blood on it. Hatred filled her thinking about Indra telling Octavia she wasn't her second anymore. She added that to her mental list of people to get revenge on.

A buzzer sounded behind them, and Octavia stood up quickly. "It's about time."

A body dropped through the tube, landing on top of Ember. She screamed, pushing the body off of her blindly ass eh got out of the tub, looking in with horror when she was done. "Fox." She whispered, guilt filling her as she wondered how many other people of hers had died.

Footsteps sounded through the tunnel, as Ember turned away from Fox, leaning against a wall, sword out. Octavia followed her example, as Emma moved slightly to the side with her gun out. Clarke ran past the two, and all three put their weapons down. "You stayed."

"Screw you. Of course I stayed. I know where my loyalties lie."

Clarke looked past them all, at the door. "We have to get in there."

She moved past Emma, who grabbed her arm to stop her, Ember moving over to her sisters side. "If that was possible do you think we'd still be out here?" Ember asked, loving the faith she had in them. Ember signalled for Emma to turn Clarke, who did, making her face Fox. "Why did Lexa sound the retreat?" Ember asked, knowing they all wanted to know the answer, whether it was good or bad.

"She made a deal with Mount Weather. Freed the Grounders. Now we're on our own." Ember knew that it was a smart move on Lexa's part, having saved thousands of lives on her side, but it put her people at a much higher risk.

Clarke moved over the the door, pounding on it violently. Octavia ran forward, trying to pull Clarke's hands away from the door. "Stop. They'll know we're here." Clarke stopped, as Octavia paced back and forth. "What about Lincoln? There's no way he'd have gone along with this."

"He didn't. They took him."

Clarke raised her gun, pointing at the control panel for the door. Ember quickly moved her hands down. "What's wrong with you?" She snapped at Clarke.

"I am getting through that door." Clarke said angrily.

"And that's your plan?" Ember asked with a scoff. "That's a shitty plan." She mumbled, trying to find herr own solution.

"Bellamy's counting on you. Everyone's always counting on you." Octavia stated.

"What do you want from me?" Clarke asked, Ember looking back at her when her voice cracked.

Emma looked to Ember guiltily, as Ember gave her a supportive smile, trying to keep her calm, even though all of their tensions were raising. "You trusted Lexa. You let a bomb drop on Tondc. You let all those people-"

"I am doing the best I can!"

"Well, it's not good enough."

The door beeped, and all the girls in the room pulled their weapons out, tensions forgotten as they were ready to fight. When it opened, Ember's eyes shifted away from the door when she saw who it was. Octavia ran forward to give him a hug, and Ember knew she'd have to play pretend for a bit.