Chapter 37

Love was a strange concept to Ember. She had once believed it to be a simple thing to understand. But after Bellamy, Ember knew the truth, it was more complicated than anything else that she knew of. It took hold of the person and made them do stupid things, things they wouldn't normally do.

Love is weakness. That's what Ember had learned, a phrase Lexa had said months prior. A phrase that she didn't believe at first, until she found out the lie the people closest to her were keeping. Until she came to realize the truth, the less you love, the less likely it is that someone can hurt you.

Ember thought Lexa stood by that firmly, until the night before, when they had been brought in by Roan. Ember saw the truth that Lexa tried so hard to hid from everyone, she loved Clarke. Another thing she had in common with the commander she guessed, everyone had their exceptions, and Clarke was an exception for the both of them.

She stood alone with Lexa by her throne. Ember had filled her in with the details of what all had happened since they had last seen each other. “They've been sending assassin's after you?” Lexa asked for clarification, unable to believe the Ice Nation would do something so open against Lexa.

Ember nodded briefly. “They've been referring to me as the Sky Queen as well. Although that's a lot of Grounders, not just Azgeda. A fact you probably already knew. But the Ice Queen doesn't like me working for you, and she thinks she'll gain power from me, so she's been sending assassin's over the border to kill me.”

“I trust you can handle yourself against a few assassin's?” Lexa’s lips curled down, as she realized something. “How did you manage to let Roan beat you in a fight?”

Ember rolled her eyes, fiddling with a knife in her hand. “I let him win. I could have easily gotten the upper hand back, but I figured if I continued to fight he would have fought until he killed me, or I killed him. I needed to see where he was taking Clarke. So I gave myself up.”

“If he had taken you to the Ice Queen you'd be dead.”

Ember shrugged in reply. “But he didn't.” She said, clearly satisfied with how everything turned out. She looked out the balcony, over all of Polis. She couldn't believe this was her first time in the beautiful city, and wondered if she would still like the city if she had turned down the deal with Lexa and been moved here forcibly.

Lexa moved over to Ember, looking over the capital. “Clarke had requested that I don't visit her.” Lexa told Ember, who didn't look away from the city but listened to Lexa's words.

“Are you going to respect her request?” Ember asked when Lexa didn't say anymore.

Lexa didn't move for a moment, before looking to Ember. “She's also asked that I stay away from you.”

Ember rolled her eyes. “I'm old enough to make my own decisions.” Ember told her. “Do you want me to go check on Clarke then?” She asked Lexa, finally turning away from the city.

Firmly, Lexa have her a nod. “But don't tell her I sent you, just be there for her.”

Ember gave her a small nod, leaning Lexa alone and heading to where Clarke was being kept. She had one of Lexa's guards following her, although she felt like she didn't need it. But Lexa had told her that with all the people in Polis, one could easily be another assassin sent to kill her. So Ember accepted the guard even though she didn't want to.

Stay out here.” She instructed him, signalling for the guard posted outside of Clarke's room to open the door. Ember was surprised Lexa had only left one person outside of Clarke’s room, but didn't think too much about it as she entered the room.