Chapter 43

Bellamy had offered for Ember to stay in his room until it was safe for people to know that she was in camp. If they randomly did a room check, Ember would be in the same position as Kane if they caught her with her sister.

She had taken him up on the offer, despite how awkward she knew it might be. They had gone to his room right after meeting with Monty. He closed the door after they both entered the room, and she was quick to pull her hair out of the bun, letting her hair back down. She ran her hand through her greasy hair, trying to get some knots out. She had gotten used to enough water in Polis to wash her hair every other day and now she hadn't washed it since she left.

"Thanks for keeping the fact that I'm here a secret, Bellamy," Ember said, turning to face him as she wrapped her hair tie around her wrist.

"No matter how angry I am with you, I could never put you into danger." Bellamy stalled at the doorway for a moment, "Why did you come back?" Bellamy asked, leaning against a wall. His tone portrayed how angry he was, the anger he never had a chance to express from her leaving, and Ember understood. It would take a lot for her and Bellamy to get back to what they used to have. They're relationship hadn't been healthy at all the entire time they were on the ground, and it had only gotten worse. "I mean- why now? You've had plenty of chances."

Ember wrapped her arms over her stomach. "Lexa's dead," she admitted, seeing his eyes grow in size. "Murdered. I was supposed to compete to become commander, but I realized that's not what I wanted."

"And what do you want?" Bellamy asked, raising an eyebrow. "Because you've been keeping the answer to that question to yourself for too long."

"I thought I wanted to keep my people safe, that's why I stayed in Polis. As Lexa's second, that meant our people stayed safe." Ember sat down on Bellamy's couch, pulling her knees up to her chest. "But I've realized something. Since we've been on the ground- the solution has always been the same. Violence. Killing the grounders to defend the drop ship, killing the mountain men to save our people. Which I've always been fine with that, but with Lexa being murdered... we were friends Bellamy. She and Lincoln taught me how to fight. I don't know what I'd do if someone else I love dies."

She looked up at Bellamy. "I'm done with people dying." Bellamy moved over, sitting down on the couch beside her. "I just want the bloodshed to end, but I know it isn't going to anytime soon."

Ember glanced at the space between them, they were sitting on opposite sides of the loveseat, a few inches between them. She could tell it was awkward between them, and wished she could fix it. They used to be able to talk to each other about everything.

"We all want the bloodshed to end," Bellamy admitted. "It's just a matter of getting there that we all struggle with."

Ember offered a smile, placing her hand over Bellamy's comfortingly. "We'll get there." He met her eyes and after a moment, she looked away awkwardly, pulling her hand off his quickly. "Emma set me up to meet with the 100, do you wanna come with?" She asked, clearing her throat.

"I don't think any of them want to see me," He muttered. "I pissed a lot of them off siding with Pike."

"I'm sure most of them are mad I left them here for Lexa, but I'm trying to make amends." Ember stood up, glancing at Bellamy. "If you explain that you were doing what you thought was right, they'll forgive you Bellamy."

Ember turned to the door, ready to leave. As she opened the door Bellamy said, "wait!" She turned around, biting her lip. "If they don't want to see us, at least we'll have each other, right?" He shifted nervously, as if afraid she'd say that he wouldn't have her support.