98

Elijah went to talk with Alaric while thinking in how to start the conversation. Once Elijah got to Alaric's apartment, Alaric offered him a coffee or some bourbon which Elijah refused.

"Is everything okay? Your long text concerned me. I mean it was a long text but also vague."

"I apologize for that, Alaric. I wanted to talk to you in person about this..."

"Which is...?"

"About Elena... about me and Elena."

"You better not be thinking in breaking her heart, Elijah. I promised Elena to be nice around you but I also warned her that the promise would quickly be broken once you hurt her."

"I don't have any intentions of hurting Elena. In fact, I come here to ask you to give me your permission to propose to Elena."

"What?" Alaric asked, not sure if he had heard him correctly.

"I want to ask Elena to marry me. I've never been so happy and I've never loved someone as much as I love Elena. I wanted to do this the right way and before asking her to marry me, I wanted to come to you to ask your permission. You are like a father to her and I know how protective you are of her but I give you my word that I will never do anything to hurt Elena. She is the best thing that ever happened to me. I've been alive for a thousand years but I only started to truly live once I met her. All I wish is for Elena to be happy and if you let me, I'll ask her to let me spend the rest of eternity loving her and doing everything I can to make her happy."

"I can't believe I'm saying this but I believe you are the one for Elena and I am alright with you proposing to her. You make her happy and you make her enjoy who she is as a vampire. You understand her. You have my permission."

"Thank you so much, Alaric. You have no idea how much this means to me. I truly appreciate and feel honored that you give me your permission to propose to Elena." Elijah said.

"Did you get her a ring?"

"I was going to look for one. I was hoping that you would help me picking it out for her."

"I actually think the one you should give her would be one that is not available in any store and only I have it." Alaric said, making Elijah look at him confused then Alaric left and a minute later returned with a small box, then open it. "This is not just some engagement ring. This ring has been passed from generation to generation. I know she's adopted but she is a Gilbert and I know this is the ring she always dreamed of getting one day."

"Thank you, Alaric." Elijah said and grabbed the ring.

*Next day*

It was night and Elijah and Elena were in the restaurant they had their first official date to celebrate how they've been dating for 2 years.

"Milady, what do you say about a walk on the beach."

"That would be lovely, My Lord." Elena smiled and so after Elijah payed for the dinner, he took Elena to the beach.

"This has been amazing! You didn't need to do all this... All I got you was a suit and a watch..." Elena said, feeling bad for not thinking of something bigger to give to Elijah.

"They were amazing gifts. Although nothing compared to having your love and support during these two amazing years." Elijah said, making Elena blush. "You know... I've never dared to go to the water without wearing any swimsuit, much less at night... but you made me do it. You dare me to experiment new things, to get out of my comfort zone and even if sometimes it can be intimidating, it also made me feel free and alive like I've never felt before. Before you, all I had was a broken family who I tried to fix by all cost and I eventually forgot to live my life, to enjoy being immortal... But everything changed when you made me that delicious dinner at Bonnie's place. Ive always admired your loyalty and compassion but then I saw that even after turning you didn't let that go, you kept holding on to it, which is incredibly difficult and only made me admire you more. I fall for you more and more, at first I didn't noticed but when I realized I had already fallen in love with you. When you accepted being in a relationship with me, it was like a dream and every day since that moment I still wonder if it's just a dream because being with you seems like a dream to me. You've been always there for me and no matter what got in our way you still stayed. I love you so much, Elena Gilbert."

"I love you too, Elijah Mikaelson." Elena said not understanding why the sudden speech.

"Elena, each day I woke up with you by my side it's a dream. You make me feel alive and free. And now, I'm standing here to ask you..." Elijah said and got on one knee. "Elena Gilbert, will you let me keep living this dream and do everything I can to make you happy? Will you make my dream come true and marry me?"

"Yes! Of course!" Elena said in tears and kissed Elijah passionately. "Wait. Is this...?"

"The Gilbert's ring

"The Gilbert's ring."

"How did you...?"

"Alaric gave it to me once I got his permission."

"You asked him my hand into marriage? I love how you're such a gentleman." Elena said and kissed him again. "We are going to get married!"

"We are and I'll do everything to make the wedding you've always dreamed of. From a church wedding to a home wedding, big or small... I will make sure your dream wedding will happen."

"You know I don't care about all those details. All I want is to be with you. Although once we tell people we are engaged, Caroline will start to make a list of ideas." Elena said with a smile.

"She and Niklaus truly are the perfect pair, always ready to make a plan." Elijah said with a smile.

"You know what we should do now to celebrate our engagement?" Elena asked with a big smile.

"What?"

"Go for a swim. Just like in our second date / official first date." Elena smiled.

"Anything for you." Elijah smiled and so they took their clothes off and once were only in their underwear, they went for a swim.

At first they splashed each other to make each other laugh but once they kissed, they forgot about their little game.

Elena had her legs wrapped around his waist and her arms wrapped around his neck, grabbing his hair, while he had his arms wrapped around her as they kissed passionately under the full moon and the stars.

AN: Hey guys! As you can see this story is coming to an end. Tomorrow I'll be publishing the last 2 chapters. I hope you will like the end of the story. Love you guys!