"Fishing"

Today, Gu Hai decided that he needed to spend time with his father. He also wanted to tell him of his plans to start a family. Man to man, son to father, they needed to spend time together.
He arrived early the next morning with fishing supplies and beers. It had been a while since they both went fishing. This was the most relaxing thing he could think of. This should get them in the mood to open up to each other some more.
"Fishing?!" His father sounded skeptical.
He hesitated at the idea but Gu Hai was persistent.
"Come on, it will be fun. Plus, I have good news to tell you." Gu Hai urged.
Jiang Yuan stood nearby, curious. She also wanted to know about the news. But she knew better than to invite herself to a son and father event.
Finally, Gu Wei Ting gave in. He changed into casual clothes and grabbed a hat from the closet. He would have much liked it if they had stayed home. Gu Hai could have given him the news in the comfort of their home.
But deep down inside, he was grateful for the company. He hadn't spent quality time with his son in such a long time. It was a moment that needed his full attention. His hesitation was mostly due to the fact that his son was married.  He wondered if Bai LuoYin was going to join them.
After they had gotten into the car and were on their way, he realized that Bai LuoYin was not going. He looked over at Gu Hai, who seemed overly joyful, and appreciated the moment even more.
He didn't know if he would ever be 100% comfortable with his son being married to another man, but he was trying.
They pulled up to the fishing dock and unloaded their supplies together. Gu Hai had thought of everything. He made sure the cooler was filled with ice, their beers were cold, they had fish bait, and snacks. Gu Hai had even bought brand new fishing rods.
As they sat down together to adjust their reels, and the hooks, they began to chat.
"So, business is thriving." Gu Hai began.
"That's good, I'm hearing great things. It's number one in the country." His father praised, "Running a successful corporation takes hard work. You've done well."
"We're looking into buying a new home." Gu Hai added.
Gu Wei Ting looked up from his fishing rod with interest, "Are you planning to move out of the country?"
Gu Hai laughed, "Never, I wouldn't go too far from family and friends."
Gu Wei Ting nodded his approval. He finished adjusting his rod and then waited for his son to finish.
They both walked over to the water and tilted their rods backwards. Then they tossed the line far out into the water in sync with one another's movements.
Gu Hai took a deep breath in and let it out slowly, taking in the fresh air.
"See, this isn't so bad." He said to his father. He grinned as his father gave him a blank face.
It was always hard to read his father's expressions. Gu Hai often found it hard to tell when he was in a good mood or not.
"So, what's the news?" Gu Wei Ting asked, reeling in his line a few inches, checking to see if anything had bitten his line.
Gu Hai took another deep breath and said, "I'm thinking about having children."
Gu Wei Ting's head jerked in his son's direction as if he were shocked, "Children?" He said, as if the news sounded alien.
"Yes, I want children." Gu Hai said, surely.
His father's eyebrows rose and fell, "How can you have children?"
Gu Hai was expecting this response. He was prepared though. "I'm looking into different options, but I'm sure of what I want."
Gu Wei Ting thought for a few moments. The silence was eerie but then he spoke, "Are you going to adopt?"
Gu Hai shook his head, "No."
"Gu Hai," his father said, "you and Bai LuoYin are the only sons. It would be nice if you two can carry on our family name."
Gu Hai was about to say something but his father stopped him with a raised palm.
"I think it would be good if we had blood relation to our grandchildren. There is nothing wrong with adopting, don't get me wrong, but it also would be nice if you two could carry on the family name."
Gu Hai agreed, adoption was something to consider. There were thousands of children who didn't have a stable home. They would be grateful to people who could take them into a loving home. But his father was right. Both him and Bai LuoYin should carry on their family name.
"That's what I'm going to do. I promise to carry on our family name, as well as Bai LuoYin's." Gu Hai said.
His father gave him a satisfied look and continued to fish.
After ten minutes had passed, his father blurted out suddenly, "I'm glad we decided to do this today. Maybe I haven't been such a good father all these years. But I promise to be a good grandfather."
Tears stung Gu Hai's eyes. He would let them fall. But he continued to look straight ahead, as did his father. They both fished for half the day. They even caught a few medium sized fish to take home.

On the way back to the house, Gu Hai convinced his father not to tell Jiang Yuan about the plans to have a baby. His excuse was that he didn't want to make a big fuss about it until both him and Bai LuoYin was sure.
His father agreed and even hugged him goodbye.
As Gu Hai drove, his mood brightened with each mile towards his own home. He thought today was a step in the right direction. He wanted his parents and Bai LuoYin's parents to be on board with them having kids.

Bai LuoYin was looking at more houses for sale when his cell phone rang. He reached over and grabbed it from the coffee table without taking his eyes off of his computer.
"Hello?" He answered, not so focused on the call.
He had run across a house that was perfect. It was not too far from where they currently lived. It was surrounded by all the right stores, schools, hospitals, and parks. It basically was his dream home. Perfect in every way. Safe neighborhood and all.
"Bai LuoYin, how are you doing today? Are you home?" Asked Yang Meng.
"Yes, I'm home, why, what's up?" Bai LuoYin said, realizing who he was taking to.
Yang Meng cheerfully yelped, "Great, I have a surprise for you! I'll be there in five minutes!" Then he hung up.
Bai LuoYin looked at his phone confused. What was this guy up to?
Literally, five minutes later, a knock sounded at the front door. Bai LuoYin closed his laptop and went to answer it.
Yang Meng waved at him, grinning. Bai LuoYin noticed he wasn't carrying any bags in his hands. What could be the surprise?
"Here is my surprise!" Yang Meng said holding out both hands to the side of him as if he were introducing someone.
To Bai LuoYin's astonishment, You Qi stepped into view as if he appeared by magic.
"You Qi!" He exclaimed, stepping into the hallway to give his old school buddy a hug.
You Qi grinned and embraced him for a few seconds and then pulled away saying, "It's been a long time! You look well!"
Bai LuoYin invited them both inside and then looked You Qi up and down. He looked really handsome, dressed in a white suit and shades. His hair was neatly slicked back and he had on a few pieces of flashy jewelry.
"You look great," Bai LuoYin said, "I see the entertainment industry has been good to you."
You Qi took a small bow and they all laughed.
Gu Hai arrived home just as they all sat around the table to eat something.
Bai LuoYin met him at the front door saying, "You'll never guess who graced us with his presence!"
"A realtor!" Gu Hai joked.
Bai LuoYin playfully hit him on the arm as he took his jacket off.
Gu Hai laughed and then heard commotion coming from somewhere behind them. He frowned and looked curious.
Bai LuoYin grabbed him by the arm and dragged him to the dining room. To his surprise, You Qi and Yang Meng waved at him, both their mouths stuffed with something tasty.
"I leave home for half the day and you bring men into our house?!" Gu Hai teased, his eyes going dark as his gaze fell on You Qi's handsome face.
Bai LuoYin nervously laughed and said, "He's joking, aren't you!" He gave Gu Hai a light punch, as if warning him to be nice.
You Qi payed him no mind. All these years had gone by and he knew Gu Hai like the back of his hand. Nothing had changed about this guy. Gu Hai was still the same. Always being protective of his lover.
After swallowing his food, You Qi stood up to shake his hand, "It's good to see you again Gu Hai."
Gu Hai knew he had nothing to worry about. Bai LuoYin was his forever and for always. He shook You Qi's hand firmly and greeted him with a hug.
Yang Meng protested, "Don't I get a handshake and a hug?!"
Gu Hai embraced him and then sat down to have a meal with them.
As they ate, You Qi admitted to himself that Gu Hai had bulked up. The way he fit his clothing, he could be a model! He noticed how loving Bai LuoYin was towards him. Scooping out a portion of rice and placing it carefully in his husband's dish. He observed the glow in Gu Hai's face as he smiled at his lover. It seemed to say unspoken words between them. Words only they knew. As he watched them interact with one another, he realized it was love.
You Qi craved that feeling. He wanted someone who would love him just the same. He looked over at Yang Meng as he stuffed his face with food. He recalled his school days and the way he used to trouble Yang Meng. The way he had ran to his friend Bai LuoYin for protection. He smiled as the memory clouded his mind.
"What's so funny?" Yang Meng asked.
"I was just remembering our school days. It seems like it was only yesterday." You Qi said, eyeing everyone at the table.
Gu Hai nodded, "It does. Do you remember that fat guy who hurt Bai LuoYin on the basketball court?"
Yang Meng's eyes lit up, "Yes, you almost killed him! He was so rough, I was sure that Yin Zi was going to be hurt for a long time."
Bai LuoYin waved a hand at them saying, "Do you remember when Gu Hai beat that guy up in the hallway for insulting my mother? I thought he was going to be expelled for sure."
"Well, I'd do anything for you." Gu Hai said, raising the romantic level in the room by 200%.
They all laughed as Yang Meng made kissing sounds at Gu Hai and Bai LuoYin.
For the rest of the night, they all caught up with what had been going on with their lives. Gu Hai talked about his business, You Qi talked about his acting, Yang Meng complained about the police department, and Bai LuoYin told them about the new planes on the base. It felt like old times, being together in the same room. These men were proud of their friendship. It was something they would treasure for the rest of their lives.