"Dr. Lee"

Bai LuoYin stood in the lobby looking at all the certificates on the wall. Gu Hai sat on the couch, waiting for the doctor to come into the room. Ten minutes later Dr. Lee entered the room smiling. Bai LuoYin sat down next to his soul mate and they both started asking questions.
By the end of the conversation, Bai LuoYin was convinced that this was the right way to go about bringing a child into the world. They started the paperwork right away. They understood that it was going to be expensive but money wasn't an issue. They still had the money from their wedding night saved up.
"Remember," said Dr. Lee, "there are different options here. Please take your time in deciding what best suits your needs."
Gu Hai had informed Bai LuoYin that he had frequently visited the good doctor. He was truly the best in the country when it came to surrogacy. This time, Bai LuoYin had some serious thinking to do.
The doctor decided to give them a tour of the facility. They walked through the hallways, popping into room after room. Dr. Lee explained what each room specialized in. Gu Hai nodded and Bai LuoYin followed them to the next room. After a while, Bai LuoYin decided to grab something to eat from the cafeteria, leaving Gu Hai to chat with the doctor.
He made his way towards the cafeteria and found it to be crowded. There were patients, family members, nurses, and other doctors eating at round tables. He grabbed a tray of food and looked around the room. To one side, he saw a beautiful woman sitting by herself. He decided to join her.
He placed his tray down and she looked up at him. Her smile was bright as the sun. Her eyes were a crayon brown and her hair was tied back in a neat ponytail. Her skin was porcelain white and her small frame was almost like his own.
"Hello." She said kindly, her voice small and very feminine, almost angelic.
Bai LuoYin gave her a small nod and sat down across from her.
Her teeth were perfectly straight. When she smiled, you couldn't help but admire them.
"Hello." He said as he placed his straw into his drink.
"You must be a new parent." She said, and took a bite of her apple.
"Sort of," he said, "my partner and I are thinking about having a child."
Her eyes lit up. She smiled again and sat up straighter in her seat. She was eager to converse. "I'm a surrogate mother. I signed up a week ago. The doctor wanted me to come in and do blood work."
Bai LuoYin was very much interested in her now.
"A surrogate mother," he said, "may I ask you a few questions?"
She nodded, still smiling.
"What made you want to do this?" He asked.
For a moment he saw a sadness wash over her face, but it quickly disappeared. What remained behind her eyes though were remnants of that emotion. It didn't have to show on her beautiful face, behind those eyes, was a yearning. She had agreed to answer questions, but by the look of her, she wasn't expecting that particular question.
"I am alone in the world." She said, then stuffed her mouth with food. Her gaze quickly went from his face to her tray and then back again.
"Alone?"
She nodded.
"Do you mean that you have no family?"
She nodded again.
Bai LuoYin was intrigued. He was not expecting this. His heart felt heavy all of a sudden. He was always surrounded by family and friends. He couldn't imagine what it must be like to have no one.
"How long have you been alone?" He asked, unsure if his questions were too personal for one to disclose to a complete stranger. But he remembered that Dr. Lee had informed him about potential mothers fully disclosing their backgrounds. They were to include if any of their family members had anything such as, diabetes, cancer, or any other sicknesses.
She took her time chewing her food. When she swallowed, she smiled at him again and said, "My parents died in a car accident when I was ten. I was in foster care for most of my life."
"What about your extended family? Where are they?" He asked.
She shook her head and shrugged her shoulders. Then, she smiled at him again and continued to eat, her eyes glued to her food as if she meant to hide her eyes.
Bai LuoYin felt her pain. He could see that she hid her true feelings behind her smile. Even as she looked away from him, he could sense that she really was alone. His heart called out to him. The woman before him had made a small impact in his decision making.
There were many different reasons women decided to be surrogate mothers. The one before him simply wanted to have a piece of her remain in this world, long before she was gone. Through the kindness of others, Bai LuoYin and Gu Hai were going to have their little one.