"Dinner With Mom, Again?"

Bai LuoYin set another place at the table. It wasn't until Gu Hai had arrived at home and sat down to eat that he noticed the placement of additional dishes. He looked up at Bai LuoYin puzzled.
"Are we expecting someone else?" He asked.
Before Bai LuoYin could answer, a knock sounded at the front door.
Bai LuoYin went to let his mother in.
As they made their way to the dining room, the look of surprise showed on Gu Hai's face. "Oh," he said, "what a pleasant surprise."
Jiang Yuan smiled at him and took her seat at the table. Everyone helped themselves to the food. As they ate, Jiang Yuan started to converse.
"So, when am I getting to see the new house?" She asked, picking up her chop sticks and grabbing some rice.
"Soon." Bai LuoYin said, placing some vegetables over his rice.
"I think you'll love the new house." Gu Hai gushed. "The rooms are huge. There are three bathrooms, and a really nice kitchen. There are three beautiful cherry blossoms in the backyard."
Bai LuoYin looked at his mother's face to see her reaction. She barely showed any. If she was happy about their new home, it didn't show. It was always hard to tell what she was thinking.
"That's nice." She said, slowly chewing her food. When she swallowed, she continued to talk. "Did you two decide what you're going to do about the baby situation?"
Bai LuoYin looked over at his husband and gave him an apologetic look. He knew this subject was somewhat of a pressure cooker for him. "We have decided to raise this child on our own." He said, then looked her straight in the eye. Daring her to say something that he wouldn't like.
She nodded slowly, picking up some meat and gently placing it into her bowl.
Gu Hai exchanged a blank look with Bai LuoYin. It were as if Gu Hai wanted him to tread carefully. The subject was very fragile. If it were up to Gu Hai, he would have kicked her out a long time ago.
"Nowadays, two men can raise a child, and that child will turn out healthy and happy." Bai LuoYin said, recalling his conversation with Gu Hai.
"What are you going to tell that child when she or he asks about their mother? Children grow up curious about things like that." She said, poking at her rice, and not making eye contact.
"When we come to that bridge, we will cross it. Until then, I think we will be fine." Bai LuoYin said. He was beginning to get irritated.
Gu Hai knew him too well. "Bai LuoYin." He half whispered under his breath, then continued eating.
It was as if hearing Gu Hai say his name had calmed his whole being. His eyes glossed as he watched Gu Hai chew his food. He would have smiled a little at how much his husband loved him and kept him level headed, but the queen of knowing it all, spoke again.
"Gu Hai, believe me, I'm not trying to cause any problems with your lives. I just care about the mental state of my future grandchild." She said, calmly. "I have a right to."
Gu Hai remained quiet. He decided not to respond because she was Bai LuoYin's mother. He knew how to handle her. There were times when he was cruel and cold to her, but in the past year, he had changed a lot. He had become more patient with her. Even though her opinions or smug comments were careless.
"The wellness of our children is our job. Let us worry about that. I'm sure we will do a great job." Bai LuoYin said as calmly as possible.
Jiang Yuan looked over at her son. Secretly, she was doubting if he was capable of doing what he said he would do. He grew up without a mother's love. Maybe that was why he turned out to be gay, she thought. In her mind, a male child needed the nurturing love only a mother can give. In her mind, if the mother is present, the child would look for that same love from a woman. Sure she wasn't there for Bai LuoYin growing up. It had only been Bai Han Qi who raised their son. Maybe because of that, Bai LuoYin searched for the love of a man. She feared that with a female missing from her grandchild's life, they would turn out gay also.
Her thoughts she kept to herself though. She dared not speak those words out loud. She didn't know if it would offend her son or Gu Hai.
Instead, she exhaled and smiled up at them both. "I guess time will tell." She said. "Let's not spoil the rest of the evening with this talk. Let's enjoy our meal and each other's company."
Gu Hai raised both of his eyebrows at Bai LuoYin, totally taken aback from her change of heart. He actually thought the rest of the night would have been dragged out by this touchy subject.
After dinner, Gu Hai suggested they watched a movie. Some quiet time was good for bonding. Besides, watching a movie required you to listen, not speak. It was a win in his book.