"Friendship."

When Gu Hai and Bai LuoYin pulled up to Jiang Yifei's home, they were both astonished.
She got out of the car and waved goodnight to them with a smile on her face and trotted over to her gate and pushed it open. It was apparent that the gate had come off of its henge and was digging into the dirt road.
Her home was in the poorest part of the city. The windows looked broken, the roof had holes that were patched up with galvanized pieces, and the hedges looked as if they hadn't been cared for in months. A few thugs were hanging out on every corner on the drive to her home and it didn't look safe at all.
"I used to live in a poverty stricken city." Bai LuoYin mumbled mostly to himself.
Even though Gu Hai lived a short while with Bai Han Qi and Bai LuoYin, he knew what it was like to live in an environment where you didn't feel safe. Sure, he grew up well, but experiencing poverty helped shape his mentality. He learned to appreciate things that he had once taken for granted.
"She can't carry our child here." Gu Hai said, sternly.
Bai LuoYin turned to him. "Are you saying that you don't want her to be our surrogate?" He asked, disappointed and sadly.
Gu Hai shook his head. "No, I'm saying that we can't allow her to stay here while she is pregnant."
Bai LuoYin blinked at him.
Gu Hai sighed from his lack of understanding. "We should find her a better place to stay."
Bai LuoYin's eyes went wide. "That's a great idea! But, do you think she will take it?"
Gu Hai grinned.
Bai LuoYin knew that grin. It was the same grin that cooked up plans in his head.
"I'll handle it." Gu Hai said, then drove off. There was no way he was letting his future child and surrogate mother stay in a place where danger lurked on every corner.

Earlier that evening the next day, after Jiang Yifei had finished working, Bai LuoYin gave her a call. He invited her to go shopping with him. There were only a few things he needed to pick up for the baby's room, but he figured it would be the perfect time to get to know her better and spend quality time.
He picked her up at her residence instead of letting her take transportation to his house. She had objected for a while but he quickly persuaded her that it would take too long, it would be easier if he picked her up and they visited a shop nearby.
They arrived at a shop that had been established recently. According to Jiang Yifei, the shop's owner donated quite a few items to the local orphanage. She informed Bai LuoYin that it was important to support his local small businesses. That way, everyone could make a living.
Even though Bai LuoYin knew this bit of information already, aunty Zhou was a small business owner, he nodded and listened to everything she had to say.
As he purchased what items he needed, Bai LuoYin carefully observed Jiang Yifei's taste in things.
Jiang Yifei was a very simple person. She didn't fuss over extravagant things. She would pick up items that was very cheap, compare them to the more expensive ones, and still choose the cheaper versions. The same items that were cheaper, would make someone just as happy to have them as the more expensive ones. She tried to teach all the children at the orphanage the value of things, it didn't matter how big or small.
Bai LuoYin acknowledged her. He recalled the days growing up with his father, who would wash his underwear everyday so that he would have something clean to wear. They had very little money, so it was hard at times to buy new undergarments every month. His underwear would sometimes end up in the drain, but still, his father valued them. His father also knew the importance of instilling that same value within him at a young age.
Bai LuoYin was thankful for his father. His mother on the other hand still enjoyed materialistic things. Diamonds, gold, silver, fancy clothing, all tickled her heart and brought her joy. He often wondered if his mother would ever change.
After making their purchases, Bai LuoYin decided to go to the mall for some extra fun.
A little window shopping never hurt anyone.
They stopped at the food court and got something to eat, then hit up the electronics department to idle over the latest gadgets.
After that, they passed in front of a clothing store. Jiang Yifei stopped to look at one of the mannequins.
Bai LuoYin noticed the way she eyed a pink dress. It was elegant, with white lace running around the bottom hem of the dress and around the neckline.
"That's pretty." Bai LuoYin commented.
She turned towards him with a brightly lit face and smiled. "It is." She agreed.
Bai LuoYin gave her one look over, from head to toe, and grinned with excitement. He had an idea, a fun one. He grabbed her hand and led her into the store.
"What are you doing?" She laughed nervously.
"Come on, it's going to be fun!" Bai LuoYin urged as he pushed her towards the endless tables filled with clothing.
"You can try on everything." Bai LuoYin encouraged, holding up a few t-shirts in front of her.
"Try them on?" She asked a little confused.
Bai LuoYin nodded, a glimmer in his eyes. "It'll be just like you're modeling the clothing! You'll love it!"
She blushed, her face turning beet red. "I've never done that before."
"The more reason to do so now!" He persisted. "Please?"
Jiang Yifei looked as if she were hesitant.
Bai LuoYin made a sad face, making the corners of his mouth go down.
She laughed and gave in. "Ok."